Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Retumbo Data For 7.82 Warbird

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2004, 11:43 PM
Silver Member

Re: Retumbo Data For 7.82 Warbird

I keep hearing that the brass for the 7,82 Warbird is crap, in terms of inconsistancy in either weight or case walls being too thick or thin. What are your thoughts?
Old 05-09-2004, 03:54 AM
Silver Member

Nighthawk, I have heard negative reports about the quality of Lazzeroni brass, most of it is due to the fact that fellas (like me, several times) try to match Lazzeroni listed velocity (27" bbl 12 twist) with the Sako TRG-S (26" bbl twist ?)
What happens is pressures rise with these hot loads and after just a few firings the primer pockets get so loose you can place a primer in with your fingers and they fall right back out!
As for split necks and other brass failures I have yet too see any, I'm sure other shooters have had trouble with that.

To remedy that problem I coat my bullets with Tungsten Disulfide, and backed down far enough on the powder to achieve 3474 fps (180 grn bullets), with this new lot of brass I'm on my fifth firing and so far so good.. I noticed for a given max load with the Warbird, slight increases of powder spikes pressures rapidly and starts busting the primer pockets loose, (I've got quite the collection of Warbird keychain doodads!!)

Birdshooter, I noticed you hail from Oregon, (what part?)
I moved to Alaska in '76 from the Woodburn/Gervais area, (Marion County)
Sure miss fishin' for those tasty bluegill..

"In guns, particularly firearms, caliber or calibre is the approximate internal diameter of the barrel, or the diameter of the projectile it fires."
WIKIPEDIA

"Fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"
Sigmund Freud
Old 05-09-2004, 04:11 AM
Silver Member

There is a discussion on the Warbird going on in www.thehunterslife.com
You'll find some more info in the reloading section, just look for any of the Lazzeroni Warbird threads, might help answer some of your Questions. Give a holler if you find us Warbird fans on that forum!!
(I'm proman1 there also)

"In guns, particularly firearms, caliber or calibre is the approximate internal diameter of the barrel, or the diameter of the projectile it fires."
WIKIPEDIA

"Fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"
Sigmund Freud
Old 05-09-2004, 02:44 PM
Silver Member

Is it just the Warbird brass or all of them? I was hoping the 8.59 Titan didn't have that problem.
Old 05-10-2004, 05:34 AM
Silver Member

Proman
I live farther south, down near Roseburg. I also have quite a few of those keychains [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Nighthawk
Yes the brass leaves a lot to be desired. I weighed 40 of 'em and 30 fell within a 1.5gr plus/minus of 335gr and the other 10 were clustered similarly around 330gr. How that compares to anything similar I can't say. I have also ran a lot that had unusually thin necks. Normally I see around .015" but this stuff was like .010". I would expect to see the same problems in all of the brass as it's all made at the same place.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:38 PM
Silver Member

Maybe we could remedy that problem if we called Lazzeroni and Mast and insisted that they inprove quality. It may be a long shot, but I think their rounds are cool.
Old 05-12-2004, 05:08 PM
Silver Member

Nighthawk, John Lazzeroni is a very aproachable person I have exchanged e-mails with him a number of times as have other people I know, he relpies promptly and sometimes even within a few minutes. Also some people have phoned John and spoken to him on the phone, why not give him a shout and let us know what he has to say.