Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Results from Tubbs FF kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 11:18 AM
Gold Member

Re: Results from Tubbs FF kit

Why don't you clean it good and shoot a few Hornady GMX rounds and see if it builds up less cause it is harder than Barnes TTSXs and MIGHT be harder than your Nosler Partition 130g jackets are? Useless info. here, I have also learned that you don't mix bullet mfgr. when doing an evaluation, clean to the shine before you go to a different bullet.
Good luck.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:01 PM
Platinum Member

wonder if the burnishing bullets didn't polish the bore in your rifle, seems odd but it's about the only thing I can think of. You didn't used a bore polish of any kind to clean twards the end of the kit did did you?
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 10-11-2012, 04:25 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
wonder if the burnishing bullets didn't polish the bore in your rifle, seems odd but it's about the only thing I can think of. You didn't used a bore polish of any kind to clean twards the end of the kit did did you?
Nope, I followed the instructions. The only thing I used was Boretech with a nylon brush and patches followed by cu+2 to be sure I got all traces of copper out. He says that the first 20 rounds does 70% of the work and I would see a reduction in cleaning effort. I never experienced this.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:39 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinhood493 View Post
It took 5 fouler rounds to get the groups to settle down. Before it took only 3 rounds. The accuracy is still there after 20 rounds fired. I did not shoot more than that. As far as the accuracy, it seems like its fine. The kit improved it. The only thing im worried about is that it copper fouls bad now, and the bore feels rougher when cleaning when it should have been very smooth.
I think you're looking for a problem that doesn't exist. My gun takes 3 shots to re group if I just run a dry patch thru it. I don't touch it.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:33 PM
Silver Member

I tried Tubbs final finish also in my 243. I was shooting a 105 amax with good accuracy but very difficult to clean. Now it's not not all that hard to clean, but the accuracy has gone to hell in a hat basket. Can't get a the 95gr BT to either!
Old 10-11-2012, 10:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinhood493 View Post
Nope, I followed the instructions. The only thing I used was Boretech with a nylon brush and patches followed by cu+2 to be sure I got all traces of copper out. He says that the first 20 rounds does 70% of the work and I would see a reduction in cleaning effort. I never experienced this.
well barring that the burnishing bullets polished your bore (not sure they would do that) I wanted to eliminate that you didn't polish it, so since you haven't hell may try just shooting it till the accuracy falls off, and just keep count of rounds fired.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 10-11-2012, 11:57 PM
Platinum Member

But you really don't know what the bore looks like because you can't see in there......

I quit going by 'feel' some time ago.