close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Reply

Results from Tubbs FF kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 10-11-2012, 08:23 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 95
Results from Tubbs FF kit

I just finished doing the FF kit on my .300rum and my .270. I thought I had shot the barrel out on the .300 rum, but the kit restored its accuracy. The kit performed exactly as described. My groups were in the 1/2" range, and then it moved to the 1 1/2" range after about 400 rounds down the tube. I could feel the throat was very rough when trying to clean the gun, and I could feel tight spots in the barrel. After the kit, it feels very smooth from chamber to muzzle, and it cleans out in less than 10 min with Boretech Eliminator. My groups are also in the 3/8"-1/2" range again. Now the .270 on the other hand performed different. It was about a 1" group gun from the beginning and was somewhat easy to clean. After the Tubbs kit, it turned into a 1/2" grouping gun, but it is now a copper mine. After 20 shots, about 6" of the muzzle is solid copper that is very hard to clean out. I can feel that the roughness is still there in the barrel. It even feels rougher than before I used the Tubbs kit. What could have happened here? I followed the instruction to the T, just like in my .300rum.
Reply With Quote
  •   #2  
    Unread 10-11-2012, 10:04 AM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2008
    Location: SOCIALIST CONTROLLED TERRITORY OF NEW YORK
    Posts: 4,400
    Re: Results from Tubbs FF kit

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robinhood493 View Post
    I just finished doing the FF kit on my .300rum and my .270. I thought I had shot the barrel out on the .300 rum, but the kit restored its accuracy. The kit performed exactly as described. My groups were in the 1/2" range, and then it moved to the 1 1/2" range after about 400 rounds down the tube. I could feel the throat was very rough when trying to clean the gun, and I could feel tight spots in the barrel. After the kit, it feels very smooth from chamber to muzzle, and it cleans out in less than 10 min with Boretech Eliminator. My groups are also in the 3/8"-1/2" range again. Now the .270 on the other hand performed different. It was about a 1" group gun from the beginning and was somewhat easy to clean. After the Tubbs kit, it turned into a 1/2" grouping gun, but it is now a copper mine. After 20 shots, about 6" of the muzzle is solid copper that is very hard to clean out. I can feel that the roughness is still there in the barrel. It even feels rougher than before I used the Tubbs kit. What could have happened here? I followed the instruction to the T, just like in my .300rum.
    Is the accuracy still there in the 270 even though it has copper fouling?
    __________________
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    If you want to shoot Bergers start here!
    http://www.longrangehunting.com/arti...accuracy-1.php
    Reply With Quote

      #3  
    Unread 10-11-2012, 10:13 AM
    Bronze Member
     
    Join Date: Aug 2011
    Posts: 95
    Re: Results from Tubbs FF kit

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
    Is the accuracy still there in the 270 even though it has copper fouling?
    Yes, accuracy improved, just now the bore feels rougher and it copper fouls bad bad.
    Reply With Quote
      #4  
    Unread 10-11-2012, 10:14 AM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Feb 2007
    Location: Townsend, Montana.
    Posts: 8,470
    Re: Results from Tubbs FF kit

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robinhood493 View Post
    Yes, accuracy improved, just now the bore feels rougher and it copper fouls bad bad.
    What bullet?
    __________________
    Reply With Quote
      #5  
    Unread 10-11-2012, 10:15 AM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Apr 2012
    Location: The cold part of Montana
    Posts: 1,391
    Re: Results from Tubbs FF kit

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
    Is the accuracy still there in the 270 even though it has copper fouling?
    Your asking does the accuracy drop off after a # of rounds fired? I was wondering that.
    __________________
    Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

    Joe
    Reply With Quote
      #6  
    Unread 10-11-2012, 10:34 AM
    Bronze Member
     
    Join Date: Aug 2011
    Posts: 95
    Re: Results from Tubbs FF kit

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Broz View Post
    What bullet?
    Nosler Partition 130g, same as I was using before.
    Reply With Quote
      #7  
    Unread 10-11-2012, 10:35 AM
    Bronze Member
     
    Join Date: Aug 2011
    Posts: 95
    Re: Results from Tubbs FF kit

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
    Your asking does the accuracy drop off after a # of rounds fired? I was wondering that.
    It took 5 fouler rounds to get the groups to settle down. Before it took only 3 rounds. The accuracy is still there after 20 rounds fired. I did not shoot more than that. As far as the accuracy, it seems like its fine. The kit improved it. The only thing im worried about is that it copper fouls bad now, and the bore feels rougher when cleaning when it should have been very smooth.
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes


    Similar Threads for: Results from Tubbs FF kit
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    How clean to get barrel using Tubbs kit Robinhood493 Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 2 10-05-2012 09:13 AM
    Tubbs Speedlock pjracer Gun Parts - Stocks, Barrels, Actions, etc. 0 09-28-2011 10:24 PM
    Tubbs Speedlock pjracer Gun Parts - Stocks, Barrels, Actions, etc. 0 07-19-2011 09:11 AM
    Tubbs Speedlock pjracer Optics For Sale 0 06-29-2011 07:43 PM
    Tubbs Rem 700 bolt WRG Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 0 05-28-2009 07:45 PM


    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:08 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC