Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Results: Load Development & Accurizing (part 4)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2008, 08:52 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Results: Load Development & Accurizing (part 4)

FCH,

Nice job on your work so far. It takes a lot of discipline to document everything as you do it, when you'd rather just be racing forward.

I really enjoyed your posts and look forward to seeing the targets from your next foray at the range.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 10-05-2008, 11:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woods View Post

Why not put a little compound on the aluminum bedding blocks (skim bed) to give your action a nice place to sit? Right now you only have two very small points of contact as shown in this picture by the worn spots that indicate your action is moving around.

On a Weatherby the way the aluminum chassis is cut there is no support under the recoil lug. Bedding must be put in there to support it or it bends the end of the action down as the front screw is tightened. On a Remington the accepted practice is a little clearance under the lug so it doesn't hold the front of the barrel up as front screw is threaded directly into the action and needs its support right around the screws. This is part of why pillar bedding is popular for the Remington action.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:08 PM
Gold Member

Hey Hired Gun

So you are saying that in this picture

I should bed on top of the metal bedding block around the screw?
Old 10-06-2008, 10:03 PM
Bronze Member

For those of you that have been following, here are my targets for 81.5, 81.7 and 82.0 grain loads.

81.5: Believe it or not, shot 1 & 2 are in the exact same hole.

81.7: I cannot figure out how 81.7 was all over the place. I should note that shot 3 was from a well heated barrel and was rushed a bit as there were some guys waiting on me so that they could head down range.

82.0: Shot 3 was a designated "Flyer" as I yanked the trigger a bit I believe.

After this testing, I believe I am going to go with 82.0 grains of H4831. This winter, I would like to glass bed and float the barrel. I am struggling to understand/believe that shaving the pressure point out of the barrel will not affect this testing and which power charge shoots the best.... I also want to do some further testing with 81.5 grains as I think that showed some promise as well. I think two 3 shot groups is not enough to "finalize" my decision on the appropriate load. Also, I have to finish up this testing as we are now less than a month away from my western deer hunt.

Again, I appreciate all of your thoughts!! This has been a great process and I have learned quite a bit about processes and my rifle which I think is most important!
Old 10-06-2008, 10:06 PM
Bronze Member

Also, I forgot to mention that I find it interesting that this second group at 81.5 and it center of the group was nearly 2 inches lower than the initial testing group. The gun was cleaned (not removed from action) and no other settings were changes on the scope. The only variable that was drastically different was there was no wind the second shooting day compared to the first. Will a cross wind (10-15 mph) make a POI higher?

Also, 82.0 were only .5" higher in regards to the center of the group for group 1 and group 2 on both days...

Interesting I thought.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:36 PM
Platinum Member

Yes. skim bedding is a very thin coating right over the metal.

This was my first one. I never photoed the others as they came out much better. This one the barrel is fully floated.

Before

Closeup of front all scored up. This one isn't drilled. I may redo it someday to make it look better but it shoots so good I'm not touching it for now. I bed the Weatherby lug 100%

Wet MarineTex. Not shown in this picture is I did put a couple wraps of tape around the action screws to keep them centered in the screw holes

In the oven so to speak. No screws so the action and barrel are fully relaxed.

Front all cleaned up and cured. It is so thin it chipped out a little around the front action screw when I lifted it out of the stock. I didn't drill the front block on this one so where it is super thin it chipped. I didn't have this problem on ones I did later.

It chipped out around the rear screw but but over 90% was intact to support the tang. I have done 3 Accumarks and all 3 did the same around the rear screw. They still all shoot good though. If they were for someone else I would have touched it up.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:39 PM
Platinum Member

I went back and viewed your rifle in Part 1.

The barrel isn't all that light plus I wouldn't quite know haw to bet the pressure point on a fluted barrel:confused:

The only thing I'd do different in the bedding instructions, above, would be to fully bed the recoil lug all the way around and the bottom. This is mostly personal prefrence. That's how Kirby did my AM and its how I've done every thing since I saw that.

Also, I'd run bedding material at to or almost to where the barrel begins to taper.

BTW, I'd also settle on that load, validate the drop chart and begin hanging some fur/hides on the garage.;)