Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Results: Load Development & Accurizing (part 4)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2008, 10:39 PM
Bronze Member

Please see "Results: Load Development & Accurizing (part 1, 2 & 3)" for the complete story!

81.0 gr. Target: (4 shot group)

81.5 gr. Target: (Disregard shot 3, Flyer. YES! There are two shots touching!!)

82.0 gr. Target:

82.5 gr. Target:

83.0 gr. Target:

Now, in plotting the centers of the groups on a target we can see which consecutive charges are similar to one another to decide on a "Optimal Charge Weight".
Note that the x's indicate the center of the group with dsignated flyer's excluded from that particular charge shot group.

Looking at these, I had great groups at 81.5 and 82.0 grains. OCW says to ignore these and find where there are consecutive charges where the center of the groups hit nearly the same place.
QUESTION: Can anyone give any suggestions looking at all this?
WHAT I DID WRONG: I should have waited for a day without 10-15 mph wind gusts but I drove 35 minutes to the range and didnt want to waste the gas. The results may have been skewed due to the wind but may at 100 yards it is not to big of deal.
ACTION: I am going to load up 4 shots of 81.5, 81.75 & 82.0 and do the same test over tomorrow as 81.5 and 82.0 grouped the best. I will do the same round robin test and report back. Hopefully I find the best possible charge weight so I can get this ready to head west!!
By the way, tomorrow's forecast is 2 mph winds and 59 degrees!!! Should be a great day for shooting I hope.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:47 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Results: Load Development & Accurizing (part 4)

FullCurlHunter,

You are to be congratulated on your thoroughness.

You picked a good plan and stuck with it.

I don't see anything that you did wrong.................Except..........maybe

not sanding the pressure points completely gone.

Reason for removing: Most probably remove the fliers and bring the point of impact off of the range bag and bipod to be very much closer if not to the same point.

Replacing the pressure points is fairly easy should you really 'have' to have them.

Keep on going, you're doing super.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:27 AM
Bronze Member

Idaho Roy,

Thanks for the message. I contemplated getting rid of the pressure point all together but I have heard that the majority of the time lightweight contours need barrel pressure. I also wanted to see how it would shoot with only the pressure points touching the barrel instead of the entire stock contacting the barrel.

The only thing I am afraid of is messing with a good thing I have going. If I get three shots touching tomorrow out of 81.5, 81.75 or 82.0 grs, I am almost scared to glass bed, sand pressure points off or change anything... What if I cannot change it back!!

I hope to have good news to report tomorrow. Stay tuned and I would still appreciate any of your thoughts!
Old 10-03-2008, 12:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullCurlHunter View Post
Idaho Roy,
What if I cannot change it back!!s!
Been there, done that. Evil thoughts, bad language.

There is wisdom in knowing when to stop tinkerin'. Aso it takes great discipline to actually stop.

Looking forward to your results. Your posts are a good education and help us all.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
There is wisdom in knowing when to stop tinkerin'. Aso it takes great discipline to actually stop.
That is so truthful! I hate to think back to those times I've been there.

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 10-03-2008, 09:35 AM
Gold Member

FCH, thanks for taking the time to document this. I will continue to follow these threads closely.

Cheers!
Old 10-03-2008, 12:30 PM
Platinum Member

FCH,

Thanks for posting! I'm new at this too. I have been working on posting something like this as well. I just don't have all my info organized. I look forward to reading your results.