Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

replacing plastic stock on Rem 700

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2014, 08:49 AM
Silver Member

replacing plastic stock on Rem 700

I have one of the cheap Remington plastic stocks on my 22-250. It shoots pretty good now, but the POI shifts with changes in temperature. The barrel is a sporter barrel, not a varmint or bull barrel. The barrel is also not free floated. There are several pressure ridges in the forearm of the stock. A gunsmith said the stock is not rigid enough to grind away the ridges to free float the barrel.

I'm considering replacing the stock to get rid of the changes in POI due to temperature changes. I want a composite stock, not wood or laminate. I had a B & C Medalist on my 300 and didn't care for it. I replaced it with a McMillan. I really don't want to spend the money for either a McMillan or Manners for the 22-250 if I don't have to. I've looked at H-S Precision.

Could free floating the barrel adversely effect the accuracy?

Which stock would you suggest for an affordable stock that is not effected by temperature? Should it be skim-coat bedded?
Old 02-13-2014, 09:23 AM
Silver Member

Re: replacing plastic stock on Rem 700

Choate, maybe try to find a take stock from a Remington tactical or varmint series rifle. I have a b&c medalist v-t, I like it but mine isn't a carry rifle and with flush cups its awkward to carry for me.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:37 AM
Platinum Member

For the money, it's hard to beat a B&C Medalist, or an HS Precision stock. I have both on rifles. Mostly HS Precisions. No complaints from me.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:52 PM
Silver Member

Well what did you decide
Old 02-14-2014, 11:25 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trever View Post
Well what did you decide
I've talked to a few people and almost all said that, yes, indeed the cheap Rem stock would change POI with wide temperature changes. I really don't like the idea of stepping out of the warm pickup to shoot a coyote and having to aim differently than walking for a mile in 10 degree weather and shooting a coyote. Or calling one up while in 20 degree temps. Plus a trusted gunsmith said that the stock is so cheap that just holding the gun different vs shooting off of sand bags vs off of a shooting rest would change accuracy, consistency and POI. He also said that changing from a stock with pressure ridges to a stock that free floats the barrel should not negatively impact accuracy. If the gun already shoots well, it should continue to shoot well. If it doesn't shoot the best, a new stock might improve accuracy a little, or maybe a lot.

I just have to talk myself into spending the money on a new stock. I'm probably going to get a H-S Precision, Pro-Series 2000 Sporter Stock w Cheekpiece. HS rep said that I wouldn't even have to bed the stock. I searched the want ads and several guys like the vertical grip. I've never shot a rifle with vertical grip and don't know whether I would like it or not. My other 2 rifles are traditional hunting stocks.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:59 AM
Bronze Member

Been there and done that. I bought a 700 SS in 338 WM. I could actually feel the stock flexing. When I tried to use a sling when in the sitting position it would shoot crazy. It kicked like a Missouri Mule. I bought an H&S Precision in sporting stock with the Aluminum bedding plate. The Fiberglass Stock is stiff and very stable. I have went with friends to the range to zero their rifles. Take my 338 out of the case shoot 3 or 5 shot 1 inch group 2" high at 100 yds., and put it back in the case. I have not had the caps off the scope since I changed stocks. Does not kick as hard, Nearly fun to shoot now. I have heard horror stories of people trying to use front sling swivel bi-pods on Remington factory synthetic stocks. Good Luck.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:58 AM
Gold Member

If you are going to go with a synthetic stock, the only way to reap any advantages of doing so is to spend the money for a QUALITY synthetic stock. HS Precision stocks are exactly that and well worth the money. You are making the right call to go that route, IMO.