Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Repeater vs single shot .338LM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2012, 09:56 PM
Silver Member

Repeater vs single shot .338LM

I'm going to build a .338LM for long range hunting. Trying to decide on a repeater or single shot. Need some pro's and con's. The repeater seems to have some limitations on mags. I'm not real interested in a DBM. From what I read on the Stiller site the repeaters only use a single stack mag. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks
Gordon
Old 03-23-2012, 10:15 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Repeater vs single shot .338LM

I suggest the Norma. All the perfomance and a better fit for a repeater.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:32 PM
Platinum Member

My 338 LM is a repeater. But I never load the mag (floor plate type). I simply chamber one and have two more beside me on the ground. In the event I would need a follow up I can have one loaded in plenty of time for a long range shot. So, I really see no need for the added weight and hassel of the DBM's.

Jeff
Old 03-23-2012, 11:02 PM
Platinum Member

I spend fair time in bear country and like idea of a few in the mag.Standard bottom metal, which I like for cleaning, get a lot of pine needles and such brush busting to top.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:44 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the replies. That helps. I read somewhere that most are using the single shot but so far that doesn't seem to be the case. Makes sense to me to have the option of loading more than one round if needed. I have been thinking about changing course on the .338 cartridge and going to the Norma. I'm having a difficult time finding a bottom metal with an OAL suited to the LM and maybe the Norma might just be the ticket. My only concern is the ability to get the velocity out of the Norma similar to the LM. Any opinions on that?
Gordon
Old 03-24-2012, 09:44 PM
Platinum Member

Velocity is similar. If you were to run max in each you might see 100ish fps difference. The Norma is more efficient and case capacity is not consumed by the bullet. For all practical purposes, the cartridges are ballistic twins.

Regarding single vs repeater, I'd say it depends on your use of the rifle. For a dedicated long range rig there's no disadvantage to a single shot. Personally, I prefer my rifles maintain versatility and short range capability.

Consider a recent scenario. A hunting buddy runs single shots. He made a great shot on a muley at 1025. But, he hit a bit far back. When we got to the deer it jumped up and was disappearing over a cliff. He rushed his follow up shot and missed. While he fumbled to reload his single shot, I dropped the deer. If he had a magazine I wouldn't have had to.

In my opinion, there is no disadvantage to a magazine. So, why not? My partner claims his single shot is more rigid, more accurate. If it is, I don't see it in the field or at the range.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:57 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcamp54 View Post
Thanks for the replies. That helps. I read somewhere that most are using the single shot but so far that doesn't seem to be the case. Makes sense to me to have the option of loading more than one round if needed. I have been thinking about changing course on the .338 cartridge and going to the Norma. I'm having a difficult time finding a bottom metal with an OAL suited to the LM and maybe the Norma might just be the ticket. My only concern is the ability to get the velocity out of the Norma similar to the LM. Any opinions on that?
Gordon
Seekins makes bottom metal that allows 3.900" in Lapua