Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Remmington 700 20" or 26" barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2014, 08:49 AM

Remmington 700 20" or 26" barrel

Good Morning,

I decided to build a .223 starting with a Rem 700 sps tactical with a 20" barrel. When I went to pick up the gun they had sold the one I ordered but had another on on shelf. Only after I got home did I notice it had a 26" barrel instead of a 20".

I am debating on having the barrel cut down to 20" and re-crowned. This is my coyote gun that I hunt / hike with, so a lighter more agile gun would be nicer.

Any thoughts on the pros / cons.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:06 AM
Gold Member

Re: Remmington 700 20" or 26" barrel

If you want lighter and more agile you just answered your own question!

Old 04-03-2014, 09:07 AM
Gold Member

The sps tactical has a 1-9 twist. I think you got the varminter that is a 1-12 twist. I personally prefer the 1-9 twist due to this twist is more versatile. You can shoot 40-75 grainers. With the 1-12 twist most people top out at 55-60 grainers. An answer to your question. Yes you can cut the barrel down. Good luck with the rifle.
Brian in Idaho
Old 04-03-2014, 09:20 AM

Right, I did get the Varmiter with the 1-12 twist. I'm shooting 53gr Vmax am I going to loose any accuracy? How about velocity loss?
Old 04-03-2014, 09:36 AM

yup, you got the varminter model, not the tactical model. generally, the longer barrel adds a little giddy-up in velocity but the slower twist (1:12) does not stabilize longer bullets as effectively as the 1:9. (N.B! increased velocity does compensate for the slower twist. i.e, the faster (read: higher velocity) a slower-twist bullet travels, the less rotational spin that is required to compensate and stabilize those longer-length bullets. the issue is whether you can increase velocity sufficiently for a particular bullet.) I am a velocity man and all things being equal want my light bullets going as fast as possible. then again my only .223 is an Colt HBAR AR15 with a 1:8 twist, short barrel. go figure.

You mentioned this is going to be a build up for your walking around yote stick. so there are a few variables that may affect your decision. were you going to re-barrel anyway? if not then consider that faster, lighter bullets may cause more expansion and probably more pelt damage than longer (but not necessarily heavier) bullets. you may not care either way; and, how much does a yote care whether he is pounded by a 40 grainer at are 3100fps or a 65 grainer at 2750fps? this all seems a bit complicated and requires a lot of range time and thought.

my advice...take the rifle back and get what you wanted in the first place.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:45 AM
Gold Member

Yes sir you will loose speed and you accuracy may get better or worse. You won't know till you cut the barrel. I prefer to use a barrel at a length that the projectile has 2 revolution at the least down the barrel before it exits the crown. So with a 1-12 twist a 26" or a 1-8 in a 18" or 1-9 with a 20" and so on.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dslauger View Post
Good Morning,

I decided to build a .223 starting with a Rem 700 sps tactical with a 20" barrel. When I went to pick up the gun they had sold the one I ordered but had another on on shelf. Only after I got home did I notice it had a 26" barrel instead of a 20".

I am debating on having the barrel cut down to 20" and re-crowned. This is my coyote gun that I hunt / hike with, so a lighter more agile gun would be nicer.

Any thoughts on the pros / cons.
welcome to my world! I shoot a Remington 700 in .223 with a 20" varmint barrel. Love the gun dearly (my favorite field . My barrel is a 14 twist, and really wish it was a 10 twist barrel. It will shoot most all 55 grain bullets very well (like Hornaday V Max bullets). I started out with the 26" tuning fork, and it wouldn't groups at all (even slightly) To salvage the tomato stake, I ended up cutting 2.5" off the big end due to a seriously reamed bad chamber. I cut the muzzle end 3.5" to remove a bad spot just behind the muzzle. First groups I shot were with factory loaded Hornaday 55 grain bullets (Frontier). Shot 3/4" and slightly less five shot groups. Next time out I brought my Pact chronograph, and my range box. By the end of the day I was shooting .42" groups at 3270 fps. That was roughly 75 fps slower than the 26" barrel with very hot hand loads. I used a borrowed reamer from Ferris' stash that was a .223 N.M. reamer. I kinda think that a 22" barrel would have pretty much gave me the same velocity as the 26" barrel, but the OEM barrel was just junk from the factory. I would go with the 20" barrel without a second thought!

The 20" barrel in a scoped rifle (I'm talking 700 Remington) gives you that near perfect balance for shooting off hand. Not real muzzle heavy, and just swings well. I've killed at least 35 coyotes with it as I write this (probably closer to 50). The short varmint barrel computes to being almost three times stiffer than the same contour 26" long (a 21" barrel is 2.75 times stiffer than a 26" barrel). Just does everything right in my book!
gary