Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Remington reputation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-20-2008, 08:27 AM
Remington reputation

What do you tink of Remington company. Do you think that its reputation remain high over the years? Do they make gun as good as in the past? I read that Remington reputation was rapidly dropping in the US but find this hard to beleive.

Unread 02-20-2008, 08:45 AM
Silver Member
I think they have had a good rep of making a quality gun for the hunter. In the past they have always made a good rifle and they have made some of the most reliable shotguns out there. The shotguns are still great. The rifles are of great quality. They have made some cheeper rifles over the last few years but they have had to in order to compete in some price points. If you are looking for quality you will find it at Remington in both off the shelf guns and custom shop guns. Just remember quality always comes with a price. If you are willing to pay you will find it.

Recently I have received a couple of custom shop guns from them and I think they are producing a better product than in the past. I have been thrilled with their quality.
Unread 02-20-2008, 09:51 AM
Platinum Member
Just my experience but the one Custom Shop rifle I have owned had to go back to Remington twice. Now regretfully I just build them the way I want them. The upside is that all of my rifles esp. the sporters shoot at BR or almost BR accuracy and consistency..
The Truth Is Not Always Good For Business!!
Unread 02-20-2008, 10:06 AM
Platinum Member
Originally Posted by buck5611 View Post
What do you tink of Remington company. Do you think that its reputation remain high over the years? Do they make gun as good as in the past? I read that Remington reputation was rapidly dropping in the US but find this hard to beleive.

I have watched Remington's quality control slide downhill at an astonishing rate over the last 10 years. The bean counters are strangling the company's better judgement. Once upon a time, they had benchrest shooters running the shop and quality was great. I always like to work with 700's from the 80's and early 90's.
Find it
Range it
Click it
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Unread 02-20-2008, 10:14 AM
Silver Member
All my rifles are from Big Green and I don't see that changing unless I get a .338 from Shawn *ahem*. They are all excellent shooters, all are of the heavy barreled variety and all have their stock triggers which I lightened. I will say that I love the new Xmark trigger. Breaks 100 x cleaner than the old trigger, no creep at all out of the box. I don't have any Jewels or anything to compare with so in this case, ignorance may indeed be bliss LOL.

You'll come across a few lemons, when you pump out as many models as they do, it's guaranteed. like GG said, their QC has slipped, I've heard 2 many stories to say they aren't true but *Personally*, the 14 rifles I've had from them since the early 80s to present have ALL been excellent, I'm sure someday I will come across one I'm not happy with but I'll have the others to fall back on. I must say I am blown away by the cheaper models they have and how accurate they are considering the cheap ass stocks they ship with. I got a SPS Varmint for 550.00 a month ago and it shoots as good or better than any of my other 700s that cost twice as much. The H-S police stock arrives Friday finally but even with that pos it came with, I'm getting 3/4" groups at 200 off a bipod with cheapo American Eagle 150 FMJ, shooting with a frozen finger in temps of 25 degrees.

Their shotties are still my favorites as well. A day after I picked up the SPS-V, I saw a 870 OD green Tactical they had hanging for all to see. I've been eyeing one of those for 2 years and never got around to ordering it. Needless to say, it came home with me and I couldn't be more pleased. I have four 870s in the safe and love them all.

I apologize for my appearance, I was especially fugly on this day at the range

Poor mans LR rifle=Rem 700P.308/Elite 4200 6-24x50/Millet base/Burris Xtreme rings/Eagle stockpack/Harris 9-13" bipod
Unread 02-20-2008, 11:37 AM
Platinum Member
Rem Rep

Goodgrouper, I don't know how many Rem 700 actions that you have worked on recently. I have been in the business of building rifles on mostly Rem actions for nearly 20 years. I used 722, 721, 600, XP-100, 7 and 700 actions for builds ranging from BR Hunter class rifles to LE tactical sniper and counter sniper rifles, as well as many hunting rifles both big game and varmint. Sometime in the last 3 or 4 years the quality and tolerences on Rem actions has gotten noticably better. I have been told that they went to newer CNC machinery. I don't have any proof that they went to new machinery but I know that the latest actions are closer to square and concentric than ever before.
Unread 02-20-2008, 12:10 PM
Platinum Member
I agree with Eddie on the actions being better specs , I have seen a few realy bad barrels though , I think that if they would go to button rifled barrels like Savage they would be second to none in the factory class.

The 260 I had built bt SSG was an old action and he said it was one of the worst he had seen for out of square.
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
Molon Labe