Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Remington model 721 action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2014, 01:56 PM
Bronze Member

Remington model 721 action

I have an older model 721 rifle chambered in 30-06 that I have been itching to use for a build. My question is in regards to the action and it's compatibility with Remington model 700 parts (barrel, trigger, stock etc.) I know the 721 was the predecessor to the 700, but how interchangeable are the parts? if at all... Any input on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I'm looking to use the action and rebarrel in 6.5-06. any forseable problems I may run into?

Thanks in advance for any light shed on this issue.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:11 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Remington model 721 action

I can't remember, but I think barrels and triggers will interchange. But not positive on that.

That action is built almost identical (if not adentical, other than the short bolt shroud) to a 700. I would think you shouldn't have any issues building a custom 6.5-06 out of it.

However, have you looked into the 6.5 Sherman cartridge? It is basically a 6.5-06 AI, that has been improved even more. Hell of a chambering from everything I've read about it.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:23 PM
SPONSOR

Requires about an hours filing and polishing on the rear tang and the safety lever relief to fit properly into a stock made for a 700. Otherwise.............
Old 08-14-2014, 06:27 PM
Platinum Member

I have built a couple of 721's and they are very good. The trigger/safety mechanism is a little different but, as was mentioned, a little clearancing will fix the situation or you can just install an aftermarket. As Mud suggested, you could make a 6.5 Sherman just as easy and get some real performance. I have the reamer and dies in stock. You can pm if you are interested or better yet just call meat (208)755-6723...............Rich