Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics


Reply

Remington model 30-s douglas barrel in 22-250, need advise...

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-12-2011, 10:17 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 21
Remington model 30-s douglas barrel in 22-250, need advise...

I sent a remington action and barrel in to be powdercoated. Now it looks as if the powdercoating was done without plugging the barrel muzzle or chamber. I can look in the barrel and see the start of some of the lands but the grooves looks like a potting bed. Is my barrel ruined? Any advice or help would be much appreciated.

Respectfully,
Shepardswatch
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-12-2011, 11:21 PM
Edd Edd is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 1,072
Re: Remington model 30-s douglas barrel in 22-250, need advise...

It's not ruined. Powder coating is paint. There are some strippers made for powder coat that will remove the stuff. The challenge will be not to damage the coating on the outside.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-13-2011, 09:00 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 21
Re: Remington model 30-s douglas barrel in 22-250, need advise...

Thanks Edd,
Currently soaking the bore in BG induction cleaner. Thought I'd give a 2-day
soak,then brush it out and see what we see....

Thanks you the reply....
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-15-2011, 11:37 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 21
Re: Remington model 30-s douglas barrel in 22-250, need advise...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd View Post
It's not ruined. Powder coating is paint. There are some strippers made for powder coat that will remove the stuff. The challenge will be not to damage the coating on the outside.

Thought I would update the progress, after 2 days of soaking, after a few shots to loosen things up of course. I then used finger cots over the muzzle and filled the bore with BG industrial grade carbon-intake cleaner.
Then alot of elbow grease with GM top engine cleaner and was very pleased with the results. Alot of the coating came out, along with what appeared to be some copper as well ?? Not so sure about that. There was dark blue mix in with the powder, as if I had used a copper remover, the powder resembled heavy fouling. Soaking now for another day or so, then we'll clean and take a look at the bore. Wanted to remove it as mildly as possible and this seems to be working great.
Thank's again....
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-17-2011, 10:42 AM
Edd Edd is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 1,072
Re: Remington model 30-s douglas barrel in 22-250, need advise...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepardswatch View Post
Thought I would update the progress, after 2 days of soaking, after a few shots to loosen things up of course. I then used finger cots over the muzzle and filled the bore with BG industrial grade carbon-intake cleaner.
Then alot of elbow grease with GM top engine cleaner and was very pleased with the results. Alot of the coating came out, along with what appeared to be some copper as well ?? Not so sure about that. There was dark blue mix in with the powder, as if I had used a copper remover, the powder resembled heavy fouling. Soaking now for another day or so, then we'll clean and take a look at the bore. Wanted to remove it as mildly as possible and this seems to be working great.
Thank's again....
You fired the gun? I wouldn't fire a rifle that had stuff in the barrel.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-17-2011, 12:37 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 21
Re: Remington model 30-s douglas barrel in 22-250, need advise...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd View Post
You fired the gun? I wouldn't fire a rifle that had stuff in the barrel.
Yea, I did,that may have not been the best thing, I could see that alot of progress had been made and was advised that the coating would not stand up to the pressure. It is a heavy match barrel and at this piont it doesn't seem to have caused any damage when looking at the bore. After that and soakng in the BG intake cleaner, the stuff really is coming out and it appears to be cleaning up nicely. All in all... I may have been very lucky on both accounts,the quality of the barrel and my ignorance. Never thought I'd ever deal with anything like this and I hope never again. I Picked up the gun without a bolt, found a bolt and it turned out to be a shooter, hope it will be again. I thought if the bore checked out ok, I would start with barrel break-in just like a new barrel and try to bring the former load back up as before. I'll let you know how things turn out. Unless you know of something else I should do ???..... Sorry, I was a little irritated and impatient at first, took sometime to calm down (the guys being out of town helped).

Thanks for your help....
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: Remington model 30-s douglas barrel in 22-250, need advise...
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Remington Model 700 Sendero SFII 300 win mag barrel $150 OBO edge_232 Gun Parts - Stocks, Barrels, Actions, etc. 5 05-08-2011 07:47 AM
Remington model 30-s douglas barrel/chamber advise shepardswatch Gunsmithing 2 04-16-2011 08:52 PM
Advise on model 70 stocks streetglideok Equipment Discussions 2 08-23-2010 08:12 AM
Custom Remington Model 700 Stainless 5-R .308 w/ 22.5 barrel branson1369 Guns For Sale 2 09-20-2009 08:19 PM
Douglas Barrel Alaskan Al Gun Parts - Stocks, Barrels, Actions, etc. 0 02-05-2009 01:55 PM

Current Poll
Do you archery hunt for elk?
YES - 34.58%
120 Votes
NO - 48.41%
168 Votes
Not yet, but I plan to. - 17.00%
59 Votes
Total Votes: 347
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC