Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Remington Magazine Box ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2004, 05:03 PM

Re: Remington Magazine Box ?

brian,
I talked to a knowledgable gunsmith today and he told me how to fix the problem.
I first thing I need to do is take the spacer out of the magazine by using a dremel tool and cutting the spot welds that hold it in place. Then find a piece of thick plastic that is or can be cut to the proper width and epoxy it in place of the spacer. The plastic will allow the follower to move freely. There is no need to modify the follower because it will always be at the back of the magazine and so will the ammo. He said that you would not have to modify the follower until you need more than about .200 more room, I only need about .045 to about .060 more room to load the OAL that I need.
The COL length of the Hornaday ammo is 2.250 for the 32gr and the 40gr cartrdges.
Thanks for the relpy and info brian.slygunner

[ 09-29-2004: Message edited by: slygunner ]
Old 10-01-2004, 07:19 PM
Silver Member

Slygunner,

Thanks for that information, it certainly sounds like adding a plastic block of smaller diameter (up to .200) should work.

Recently when I did my measurements I found that there were no welds to cut, and that my spacer slid out easily.

I note that you said that the current loaded length of your .204 Ruger was 2.250, and that you only need another .045 to .060 inches.

I have a feeling that you might have underestimated the last measurement, and not taken into account two factors, which are the actual the distance from the boltface to the lands with the 32,40, and 50 grain bullets, and also allowing an amount of about .150 inches for throat erosion.

Making an allowance for throat erosion is necessary to maintain the bullet to land distance, and especially if you are contemplating using the VLD bullets, as almost invariably they need to be seated so that the bullet is either touching the lands of .005 - 010 into the lands if they are to shoot accurately.

I have just done some calculations and decided I will try and use the plastic insert as a short - medium term solution.

However for a long term solution, I will still go ahead and make a longer follower by the method I mentioned earlier.

One reason is that when I rebarrel, I am contemplating adopting my gunsmith's suggestion of using the 5.6x50mm case which is .118 inches longer than the .222 magnum case, so I am going to need about 2.450 to 2.500 in available length.
Regards, Brian.
Old 10-03-2004, 06:59 PM

brian,
thanks for the repy. You were right, I did not take into consideration that if I were to use the other bullets and chase the lands that I would need more room. So now the problem is going to be the follower. I will somehow need to find a way to lengthen the follower. That is wierd that your magazine box spacer was not welded in, because mine is.Back to the drawing board.Thanks for the info brian.slygunner

[ 10-04-2004: Message edited by: slygunner ]