Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

remington frankenstein

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2010, 02:31 PM
Silver Member

Re: remington frankenstein

why no just use the set screw method.then all you will have to do is have the smith face off a falt spot on two sides of the barrel on the thread area.and drill and tape the action in the same locations to be able to tightion the set screw onto the barrel.you can even put a small demple where the set screw will contact the barrel to help out with keeping the barrel in place.

this will work and seems to be a less tool project.then you will only need a barrel vise.and useing the same barrle lug with all of the barrels of choice you want have to keep up with the head spaceing.but hey just something I would do and my opinion.so take it with a grain of salt.or you can do just as most of us have.save up and save up some more till the money pile is big enough to get that other rifel.LOL
Old 06-29-2010, 07:20 PM
Silver Member

Re: remington frankenstein

john, I think this method will be cheaper to go with a machine shop. In the spirit of the post I want to add I called around to local machine shops to see if they could give me a quote. First it was hard enough to find a place to custom orders, the next difficulty was finding a place that did small custom orders. Well I found that place that is only 1/2 mile away. Who knew, I thought they were out of business, turns out they moved and never put a sign out. Theres good advertising for ya. Anyway they gave me a quote of $25 dollars to cut the shoulder and finish the threads out the barrel. Not bad considering the local gunsmith wants to charge $65. The other machinists were wanting to charge around $45. So bargain shopping came through. The added convienience of being close is also nice as well. The next question is does anyone have a barrel they would like to donate to the cause that the throat isnt shot out on. I do not care what the surface looks like, it can have scratches and dings. Just not bent. I can even recrown it myself if needed. Something in .243, 22-250, .308 since I have dies and brass in those calibers.