Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

remington frankenstein

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2010, 08:39 PM
Silver Member

remington frankenstein

So I know I'm relatively new here, but I enjoy longrange shooting and the art within. I am by no means an expert, and I do by no means have an un ending supply of money for my hobby. So let me tell you my experiment to be. First I researched switch barrel firearms and was led to the savage door. What a versatile rifle isnt it? Well there is a problem. I dont like savage actions. I am a remington man by heart and as so I dont have a very expansive gun cabinet. I do have a piece together LTR. I say piece together because it started as a standard SPS. Later I added the .308 fluted 20'' barrel and then and HS precision stock. So it is my piece together. See picture below.

Sorry about the quality.
Anyway I wanted the versatility of the Savage rifle but with the remington action and with research galore here is what I find.
My first Remington switch barrel rifle - Sniper's Hide Forums
The rem nut offered by PacNor
Custom rifle barrels for varmint hunters to serious benchrest shooters. PAC-NOR Barreling, Inc. - Precision Rifle Barrels - Pac-Nor.com

This barrel nut is pretty much the same as a savage nut, only it is threaded for Remington barrels 1 and 1/16 tpi by 60 I believe. Dont shoot me if I'm wrong It uses the standard savage barrel nut wrench that can easily and cheaply be purchased at
MidwayUSA - Advanced Search
Now for the source of my barrels. Well for some reason remmy take off barrels are here and there every now and then, but the issue here is cost. Since I will have to have the shoulders machined off of the barrels and then the threads run out I have to keep costs in mind. I do some calling around to the local gunsmiths in the area that arent privy to the knowledge of what I want to do and one smith requests $40 dollars for used take offs and $65 for new take offs. Well adding machine costs into that I'm starting to get higher budgeted. So I keep calling. Low and behold I reach local gunsmith (John Smith) John says sure I can keep the better barrels for you that I take off. I just cut them up and throw them to scrap anyway. I hook john on saving some for me by stating I will pay him a couple of bucks for the efforts, and deal is done. That was today. Hopefully I can keep you guys informed on the process and how it eventually shoots when I can piece it all together. Overall I am very excited to have the ability of a switchbarrel gun that I wont be afraid to burn barrels out on and can easily change myself.

If you guys have any similar experiences I would love to hear about them or any advice I would love to hear that as well. It will take some time so dont expect a range report tomorrow.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:56 PM
Platinum Member

Re: remington frankenstein

Holy cow! I new there was another one out there somewhere!!!!!

Keep us posted.

Sounds interesting.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:18 AM
Silver Member

Does Crownest2002 glue in his primers too.

I have been working on a project just like this. The gun smith I have been working with also tells me we can besides using a Savage type barrel nut also use a floating bolt head just like the Savage bolt without much problem. I also like the Idea of a switch barrel gun.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillR View Post
Does Crownest2002 glue in his primers too.
I don't think either of you will have to worry about primer pockets. Yewl split your nuts first.

I have been working on a project just like this. The gun smith I have been working with also tells me we can besides using a Savage type barrel nut also use a floating bolt head just like the Savage bolt without much problem. I also like the Idea of a switch barrel gun.
I think its a good idea also!

I got a great take off barrel first try. Think of how many 40 - 125 dollar take off barrels could be tried.

Keep us posted.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:18 AM
Silver Member

This idea would get me into a lot of trouble. you guys shouldn't suggest ways that I can easily and cheaply have about every caliber of rifle available. Big trouble.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:18 PM
Gold Member

Just remember that Frankenstein was the name of the doctor, not the monster he created.

Where you get the parts is not as important as how you put them together. It's a shame that Ebay quit allowing sales of parts like barrels and triggers, but gun broker.com and gun shows are still good parts sources.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:15 PM
Silver Member

The theory behind this is that I can have any caliber with a .473 bolt face in one action. I feel the stock will be acceptable for any barrel type I can dig up unless its larger than the remington varmint contour. The scope someday will be upgraded, someday..... But for now I use a nikon buckmasters 3x9. Its capable of shots out to 675 yards with my current loads in .308 and without holdover. If this all fails I will just rebarrel with a nice shillen probably in a 6mm caliber. Sorry if this thread is going to go slow for you guys, but like I said above I have a family to provide for and my hobbies come second, well I guess third lol.... I do enjoy this site and it really is a great resource.