Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Remington custom build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 09:37 PM

Remington custom build

Looking to build a custom rifle either in 300wsm or 300 win mag. I was thinking about a Remington 700 action possibly location for a titanium if I can find it. Does anyone have any advice for a novice. Thank you in advance for your help. Robert
Old 02-24-2013, 10:42 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Remington custom build

You're on the right track alreDy with a 700 action. I am not particularly a big fan of either caliber, even though I have become quite good at reloading 300 WinMag since one of my best friends has one, and we have done alot of load progression.

If you reload, hard to find ammo will not be so hard to find once you buy brass & dies. For example, the 7mmSTW is one of the best long range calibers, but it not as popular as it used to be. It is one excellent caliber for long range huntjng and shooting.

But 300 WinMag is also a great caliber. But it's a little too mainstream for me. I like going against the grain. LOL

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:45 AM
SPONSOR

Forget the WSM. Even if you install an extended box in a SA, it doesn't "extend" enough for the longest bullets. Ya' just can't hardly go wrong with the good ol' .300 Win. mag. No mods needed to the Rem. 700 LA to accomodate it. And to boot, the .300 Win. Mag. will out preform the WSM, especially with the heavier bullets.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:18 PM
Gold Member

I would go with the win mag if those are your choices. Nothing wrong with that choice at all. Have the 700 trued, 26-27" barrel I would pick lilja just because have had great success with them. Pick out a stock you like and top it with best scope you can afford.