Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Remington Braas Quality or Lack of ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2011, 11:55 PM
Platinum Member

Remington Braas Quality or Lack of ?

I bought some new Remington 300 RUM brass about a year or so ago and just recently opened the bag for some load work I'm doing. It looks and feels very cheap.

I got some 300 Dakota brass in last week and it looks and feels like much higher quality. I weighed a handful of case each and the Rem 300 RUM cases weighed 269 gr on average and the 300 Dakota wieghed 266 gr which is a little over 1% difference in weight vs over 10 % difference in volume. And their both based off the 404 Jeffery.

You would think that for a clambering like the 300 RUM, Remington would spec a higher quality brass.

-Mark
Old 04-07-2011, 12:19 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Remington Braas Quality or Lack of ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
I bought some new Remington 300 RUM brass about a year or so ago and just recently opened the bag for some load work I'm doing. It looks and feels very cheap.

I got some 300 Dakota brass in last week and it looks and feels like much higher quality. I weighed a handful of case each and the Rem 300 RUM cases weighed 269 gr on average and the 300 Dakota wieghed 266 gr which is a little over 1% difference in weight vs over 10 % difference in volume. And their both based off the 404 Jeffery.

You would think that for a clambering like the 300 RUM, Remington would spec a higher quality brass.

-Mark
Interesting choice of words...

When I hold up a piece of Lapua or Norma brass next to the others, I just think it "feels" better. ...Nosler is 3rd place in my book.

I suppose Remington makes what they think people will buy at a price they'll pay. But, I wouldn't think they would actually lower the bar for a given cartridge even when nobody else makes the brass if that's what you're suggesting.

Have you tried Nosler?

-- richard
Old 04-07-2011, 01:03 PM
Platinum Member

Oh, I'm just venting a little. But this 300 Ultra Rem brass leaves a lot to be desired. You can't push it very hard without loosening primer pockets and if you want any descent performance out of it, I think 5 firings would be asking a lot from it. The Ultra Mag cartridges have a lot of capacity and the brass should be manufactured to hold up better than it is. If Lapua can do it, Rem should be able to do it too. I think the Rem mindset is to do just enough to get by and make the biggest profit margin they can.

No I haven't tried Nosler yet because I read a number of unfavorable reviews on their RUM brass being too soft. I might give it try, I don't think it could be much worse than Rem.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:16 PM
Platinum Member

I suspect we're in the minority.

The masses that drive profits for Remington just want to hear a really loud BANG!
Old 04-07-2011, 03:31 PM
Platinum Member

Bottom line here guys, our market is made up of the top end of the shooting community; competitive shooters, professional LEO and military users, very serious handloaders, etc.. Over the past few years, Remington seems to have been shifting their target market from the more serious shooters (the type that populate boards like these) to the Walmart crowd of bargain hunters.

You can have cheap, or you can have good, but rarely do you find both in the same item. Until Remington's management chooses to reevaluate this strategy, I suspect this is the way things will continue.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:43 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks Kevin, but that doesn't help me with my 300 Ultra. When are you guys gonna start making some ultra hulls?
Old 04-07-2011, 03:45 PM
SPONSOR

When a company is part of a 'conglomerate' this is what you get, the quest for max profits instead of max quality.