Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Remington 700 sps long range any feedback?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 05:46 PM

Remington 700 sps long range any feedback?

Does anybody have any feedback or experience on this rifle. I'm gearing up for a Montana whitetail hunt this year and everybody is booked due to the circumstances in gun control now so a custom is kinda out of the time table. It's either that or a sendero. Also the 300 rum. How many shots does one really get outta that dude. That's a fast bullet going done that tube. Thanks in advance
Old 02-08-2013, 01:25 AM

Re: Remington 700 sps long range any feedback?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrdock View Post
Does anybody have any feedback or experience on this rifle. I'm gearing up for a Montana whitetail hunt this year and everybody is booked due to the circumstances in gun control now so a custom is kinda out of the time table. It's either that or a sendero. Also the 300 rum. How many shots does one really get outta that dude. That's a fast bullet going done that tube. Thanks in advance
I really like mine, shot 40rds through it Monday, shoulder held up just fine....make sure scope has good eye relief tho! Ammo is pretty expensive compared to some other suitable calibers, but I like it

It's a big round too, here is the 300rum, 30-06, 308

Old 02-08-2013, 10:35 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Amount of rounds is little dependent on the care of the rifle, with proper break in and reasonable shooting strings I think 1000 rds is not out of the question. If the factory chambering is accurate enough for you to make the shots you need then go for it. We sometimes take factory rifles and bed them break them in and develope loads and have had pretty good sucess getting MOA rifles, but there is no guarantee that every factory rifle will hold MOA at extended ranges.
There is still a chance you could find componets for a build but it might cost alittle more, what month is your hunt.

Good Luck

Elk Meadow Performance
www.elkmeadowperformance.com
Old 02-12-2013, 01:18 AM

I have had a SPS LR .300 RUM on order from Remington since August. Unfortuetly Remington called me Friday to notify me that they weren't going to put the rifle into production. Apparently they were having issues with the stocks. Decided to pony up the extra money for the sendero.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:28 AM

I bought mine from wholesale sports last month...had multiple in stock. It was less than 600$ IIRC
Old 02-12-2013, 01:41 AM

The rifle in your photos is indeed a Remington 700 SPS but it is not a SPS Long Range. The SPS longrange is basically the SPS varmint in long action chamberings. The barrels are the Remington varmint contour they measure .830 at the muzzle.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:52 AM

Oh I see, wasn't aware of the difference