Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

View Poll Results: Would you buy a Rem 700
Yes 550 74.53%
No 188 25.47%
Voters: 738. You may not vote on this poll

Remington 700 quality

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 12:37 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Remington 700 quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by highridge1 View Post
Even with all the bashing the remington 700 is still the most proven rifle out there and the most copied action. Are they all perfect?? No . When you build way more rifles than anyone else there is going to be more with troubles than others. There's alot to like about a rifle action that is so simple and effective.
actually the most proven rifle would be a 98 Mauser without the slightest second thought. The next ones would be the Marlin 336 and the Winchester 94. After that I'd think of a MK. V. Weatherby
gary
Old 02-26-2012, 12:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 338 View Post
Agreed. A beautiful design indeed but being on top is the worst reason to take your pedal off the gas pedal. Triggers like gravel, flimsy hollow stocks and poor accuracy are not an engineering design problem. That's corporate culture and it goes from the top all the way to the janitor. The idea that being the most successful should exempt them from producing high quality is counter intuitive. When was the last time you heard someone say "It'll be a cold day in hell before you pick up a Remington that wasn't a tack driver" or "You never find a Remington for sale cause nobody's willing to part with it".

Don't get me wrong. They're not junk. The people making them just aren't up to the job of producing them.
alot of why the don't shoot goes back to process engineering. Remington does not take care of it's tooling, and seems to have no interest in doing so.
gary
Old 02-27-2012, 10:28 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altiman94 View Post
I have two Remington 700's and .................................................. ................Rifle 2 (.243 ADL bought brand new in 2012) is a 'decent' gun. Same as above, it's not free-floated. The no-drop plate is kind of a pain for hunting and I'm getting 1.5-2" groups @ 100 yards. I haven't spent enough time developing a load for this gun....so testing is on-going.

Both rifles need to be bedded and free-floated. I guess for a $400 you can't expect much more than what I'm currently getting. I think some stock work will help them both tremendously for accuracy.

INFO: Read a post on here back in Jan 2012 about another old fart {like me}getting a .223 or .243 cause of a bad shoulder and it rang my bell.........Dang, I'm older than dirt, still 10' tall & bullet proof, but odds are I better plan ahead. After $$ analysis, Youth model 700 ADL-3x9 scope_ with New "X" trigger 20" tube-9.125 twist_ .243 was clear choice for my 3 YO GranDaughter, and my type of hunting. Wally World is only one inside of 100mi in stock so for $397.00 it came home. My GUN shop advisor said his 6mms did not like anything over 95gr. So, I based on his knowledge alone, mandated that 80gr TTSX and 80gr GMX would be our HUNTING ammo. Get it now or they will stop making it!!!!
10 Boxes of each along with 2 or 3 of all 10 or 12 other bullet & Mfg. types made- 100grs down to 58gr Vmax. We have a life time supply of ammo as well as Lee collet die set and gobbs of bullets (primers & powders are a given-from 338WM stash). I was so dissapointed comparing my first 700 vs my {$575}Tikka T3-338WM SS lite when I bolted the 700 first time-but I got what I paid for -OR DID I??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
Then I saw this 700VS in .223, and just had to have it. It was a rock solid 4.25" rifle with hand loads! I thought it was just me, and loaned it to a couple very well known bench rest shooters, who called me up to ask how I managed to get 4" groups? there were major bedding issues. I rebuilt it from one end to the other, and ended up The barrel was so rough it tore up patches. The bolt seated on a burr that was over .06" tall! The chamber was cut at an angle and .007" off center. Andwith a 20" barrel (lost about 75fps). It now shoot in the fours (as in .45"). I like the rifle, but also should have been in the trash can from the get go.
gary
THE Question: Based only on Gary's experience with his .223 and my .243 ADL still un-fired, should I take mine to a gunsmith and have him scope it out to see what I have and find all this out before I fire IT????????
1.) Would this give better response from Rem for warranty work if needed???
2.) What might I expect to pay a gunsmith to do this while I wait-dream-on If possible????
3.) Can't afford to spend ANY more $$ on this project!!!! But, might need to have a look just to know early & know why????

Feedback please!!!!! Cause I may not fire it for 10 years from now?????
Old 02-27-2012, 11:41 AM
Gold Member

T3-OleMan,

A gunsmith will be happy to look at it but if he's honest, he'll tell you to shoot it if you want to know if there's a problem. That's my advice too. It's like asking your mechanic to go down to the dealership and check out a new car. He'll do it and charge you but someone's still going to have to drive it to tell you if it's O.K. Almost all factory barrels have machine marks and tiny pits. You can see this by sticking a piece of white paper in the ejection port, shining a good flashlight onto the paper (light reflecting back up the tube) and looking down the bang end of the barrel with a magnifying glass (barrel must be clean). You can only see an inch or two but it'll give you an idea of the condition. Also, some rough barrels shoot fine.

A gunsmith may or may not have a bore scope. If he does, hell clean the barrel. Cleaning is maybe $30. To take a look at things, I wouldn't pay over $45.00 but he probably won't tell you anything you don't already know. I'd shoot it, clean it, oil it and stick it back in the box. Most or many rifles are shot at the factory. The barrels are fouled when you buy them.

In ten years, your grand daughter will be 13. It's a fair bet she'll bet she'll be discovering friends, fashion and boys. She might be into hunting but it's not everyone's idea of a good time. Hope it works out.

Last edited by Mike 338; 02-27-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:22 PM
Bronze Member

Bought a 700 BDL from Cabelas in 300 WM last month. Cases stuck and had to use a good thumping with my hand to extract. Thought it might my be my hand loads so I went way down to min loads...still sticks. Shot two different factory loads, could barely get them out. Cabelas sent it to a local gunsmith and he ran a reamer through it and polished the chamber.
Don't they pre fire Remingtons at the factory? This problem should have never made to to the sales counter.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:05 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by projp View Post
Bought a 700 BDL from Cabelas in 300 WM last month. Cases stuck and had to use a good thumping with my hand to extract. Thought it might my be my hand loads so I went way down to min loads...still sticks. Shot two different factory loads, could barely get them out. Cabelas sent it to a local gunsmith and he ran a reamer through it and polished the chamber.
Don't they pre fire Remingtons at the factory? This problem should have never made to to the sales counter.
Marlin Firearms to was sold and moved to the Remington Facility. There was intense scuttlebutt of cutting corners and that they ceased test firing at the factory. They were putting out lever actions with such bad barrel droop (misalignment of barrel to action / pointing down) that it was visible to the eye. Rather than ceasing production and rectifying the problem, they still flooded the market with these duds. That was only a sample of the flood of complaints about quality. You could read about it for days. One guy said his barrel pointed so low, he had to make a shim for his rear scope mount from a county highway sign. I took my new Marlin to a gunsmith who was able to fix the gritty 8# trigger ($$$) but told me to just send it back to the factory for all the other problems. I did and they replaced the barrel, breech and did something to the action to prevent the incessant jamming that spoiled one hunt and interrupted another. I haven't shot it since I got it back because I was so disgusted with trying to rectify the problems with that rifle that I got a Win 70 and have been spending my time with it.

According to "Marlington", there's no problems with quality and everything just fine. Yeah, sure.

Long story short... Remington seems to have a corporate culture that's crumbling like Rome. Most companies were filled with people that had a sincere desire to excel and be the best. But little by little, smooth young puppies filled the management ranks and twisted more and more until it is no longer possible to do a good job. It does however translate well to the bottom line... for now. Eventually management runs on the edge and mines out the profits for themselves until one day, they look up and it's all going to hell and all they can do is point fingers at each other or deny, deny, deny. They've failed to reinvest in tooling and have a work force that doesn't care anymore. It used to be the enemy of some gun makers were slick layers. Now it's their own executives or at least within their own walls.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 338 View Post
Marlin Firearms to was sold and moved to the Remington Facility. There was intense scuttlebutt of cutting corners and that they ceased test firing at the factory. They were putting out lever actions with such bad barrel droop (misalignment of barrel to action / pointing down) that it was visible to the eye. Rather than ceasing production and rectifying the problem, they still flooded the market with these duds. That was only a sample of the flood of complaints about quality. You could read about it for days. One guy said his barrel pointed so low, he had to make a shim for his rear scope mount from a county highway sign. I took my new Marlin to a gunsmith who was able to fix the gritty 8# trigger ($$$) but told me to just send it back to the factory for all the other problems. I did and they replaced the barrel, breech and did something to the action to prevent the incessant jamming that spoiled one hunt and interrupted another. I haven't shot it since I got it back because I was so disgusted with trying to rectify the problems with that rifle that I got a Win 70 and have been spending my time with it.

According to "Marlington", there's no problems with quality and everything just fine. Yeah, sure.

Long story short... Remington seems to have a corporate culture that's crumbling like Rome. Most companies were filled with people that had a sincere desire to excel and be the best. But little by little, smooth young puppies filled the management ranks and twisted more and more until it is no longer possible to do a good job. It does however translate well to the bottom line... for now. Eventually management runs on the edge and mines out the profits for themselves until one day, they look up and it's all going to hell and all they can do is point fingers at each other or deny, deny, deny. They've failed to reinvest in tooling and have a work force that doesn't care anymore. It used to be the enemy of some gun makers were slick layers. Now it's their own executives or at least within their own walls.
the first hint that all was not well at Marlin was with their 39's built by Remington. Prior to that they were built by one old man who was around seventy years young. Then we start to see the price steadilly climb for used Marlins while the new ones rot on the shelves. In otherwords the word's out on the street.

To fix Remington, the first thing you have to do is move the plant at least 1000 miles away. Then completely retool with all new engineers and managment. But just as importantly, you have to setup a staff to keep the place up and running. That includes engineering and maintenance. Right now it's not so hot up there in New York. Being as Remington is a military supplier, I've always kinda wondered who they bribed in the GAO to survive a P.A.R. Audit. This ain't a looking over the books thing, but something very serious that often will last a week or two. They will examine every aspect of the place, and have the right to do the same in any corner at the place. In otherwords it covers the complete operation, plus anything that has Remington's name on it.

gary