Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

View Poll Results: Would you buy a Rem 700
Yes 550 74.53%
No 188 25.47%
Voters: 738. You may not vote on this poll

Remington 700 quality

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 11:20 AM
Silver Member

Re: Remington 700 quality

I voted yes, I have had several Remingtons over the years, I don't know the exact count but at least 20 probably closer to 30 when I include the 721-722 guns, in all that time I have gotten exactly one dud, a 7mm08 SPS. It was the biggest piece of junk I have ever owned I think.

Bob
Old 01-31-2012, 11:23 AM
Silver Member

it's funny how lots of people put down remingtons and talk up savages. to each there own i think. just look at the poll. not really close by no means. geuss them low quality remingtons are alright.lol.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:16 PM
Gold Member

I see rifles similar to other purchases. I can buy a 4X4 truck. I know I will put a lift on it, after market wheels and tires, maybe some flares and bumpers etc...

As long as the Base truck is sound and the price is in line for a basic truck I am good with it. In fact, I like the ability to custom fit it to myself. If I wish to pay for one all decked out, i will pay a premium. Like buying a Cooper rifle. One of these is onmy short list as I have not owned one before.

I have had more 700's than I can remember an accurate count but like several on this thread, in excess of 20.

If I had a wish, it would be that Remington have better and more consistent barrels and tighter quality on matching them to receiver. Some after tinkering and customizing will be .25 moa while others it is flat out difficult to get 1 moa.

Other manufacturers seem to be able to accomplish this. Savage and Tikka rifles come immediately tpo mind.

As long as they have economical version, such as SPS, that will allow me to get in at decent price, I will potentially buy again. I actually enjoy the retrofit and accurizing process.

But I am sorely disappointed in my most recent aquisition of 280 in CDL SS Fluted that was nearly $1k. This was quite likely the most difficult to find a load for and on its best day it is just barely 1moa. At that price, it really should be better. My Opinion. My Cash....I get to have one
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:57 AM
Gold Member

Hmmmm....me thinks George Soros is now owner of Remington! Reckon that could be the reason for Remington being in the 'tank'??

Ralph L. Ermey
Old 02-02-2012, 12:06 PM

Speaking of the 280 CDL SSF-- I bought one and had the same issues..
I couldnt get that high stressed barrel to shoot to save my life.. 2 different scopes, checked all the basics.. tried fast/slow powders-- heavy/light bullets.. you name it, I ran it.
1.5-3.5moa inconsistently.... I ended up telling the gunshop to "stick it" and order me another one.
The new one I have shoots my "pet" load under 3/4moa rain/sleet/shine.... and all temps.
60 grains of RL22 behind a 140 CT, and a WLR primer with the Winchester nickle cases... it's basically a copy of the Winchester "Supreme" load.
I get an honest 3000 fps out of it in 20 degree weather... and around 3050 in hot weather.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:58 PM
Platinum Member

NO, I bought one new and it would not cycle new remington loads reliable. Hardley close bolt or eject and a varmit contour. The store said I HAD TO SEND IN to factory, just bought it. 1-3 month wait. Took it to a smith, still not that great.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:31 PM
Gold Member

Good luck on finding a factory rifle (USA made) that performs up to snuff! It ain't gonna happen!!

Ralph L. Ermey