Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

View Poll Results: Would you buy a Rem 700
Yes 550 74.53%
No 188 25.47%
Voters: 738. You may not vote on this poll

Remington 700 quality

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 03:40 PM
Silver Member

Re: Remington 700 quality

Well,I called Remington today. The LSS is in final inspection. Passed the range test. I asked what if any changes or procedures were performed on her. They lapped the bore and re-crowned the barrel. If there were material enough to do a lap job it leaves me to believe my hunch was right. They obviously lapped the the rear portion of it,as you can't lap the muzzle without cutting off an inch or two. If I'm not mistaken it tends to trumpet or funnel a bit and needs to be cut back and crowned. Could be the first few inches of the bore was tighter than the muzzle end. At any rate,I'll give her a wringing out when she gets back. Hopefully all will be peachy. If not it will be a 7 RM this time next year.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:54 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySes23 View Post
I worked in manufacturing for 46 years in the machine tool trade. Nobody bats 1000. I've see items on the production line get thru more than one stage of inspection and allow items that should get thru, but do. Stamping the wrong end of a barrel would not be surprising to me. The only way to catch that mistake would be to check the barrel a 2nd time after stamping.
I started in the tool and die trade in 1979. I have a firm grasp of just what you are saying. When you consider the shear number of blanks handled by all the major and minor manufacturers,including Uncle Sam, oversights happen. I can't explain why or how something as crude as a rifling broach could falter,but I've seen EDM tolerances that would amaze the production rifle biz. A tolerance is just that. A playing field of upper and lower limits. I don't expect bore and groove dimensions to go out 5 decimal places. I don't expect every pipe installed on a production rifle to be straight. As long as they make it right in a timely manner. Overall they do a super job. 1 MOA or less is/has been common for me with out of the box Remingtons. Just got a dud this time.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:35 PM
Silver Member

The LSS came home yesterday. My only complaint thus far was the bore was quite dirty. I cleaned her up and mounted a new Leupold VXII 4X- 12X in dual dovetail Leupy mounts. I hope to fire her after work tomorrow. They supplied 2 groups fired on their test rang. I assume from a mechanical rest. The average was .960" for two 3 shot groups. I was surprised to see the note on the target that said they were hand loads. I figured they would use one of the middle of the road factory offerings. The load used to test her out was 69.8 gr of IMR 4350 and a Sierra 180gr Match. I can live with that charge for sure. 1 MOA is OK too. I think I'll give my 180 TTSXs a try though. Or the Accu Bond. Don't think I'll head to the elk bushes with the Sierra Match. Pretty pleased thus far. We shall see.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:51 AM
Silver Member

Well,I made it out to the range this morning. Took an assortment of 180s over 7828 for giggles. To my surprise,the Scirocco 2 shot 3 into 7/8" at 100yds. The forth took it out to bout 1 1/4". From what I've heard about the Scirocco being finicky, I was surprised it did that well first go around. Now the old TTSX was the usual quality qroup. 4 into .660" via 76 grains of 7828 in a Federal case seated to 3.515" . I'd post a pic but this Ubuntu operating system is a pain processing pics. If I feel ambitious later I may wade into it. I guess Remington saved this one from the action wrench. For now anyway. I keep reading posts on the net about the 7mm Mashburn . Always thinking,lol.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:29 PM

It doesn't matter what well established company it is, whether it makes tractors or makes firearms, when they say new and improved about a product. It actually means new and improved profits for the company.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:06 AM
Silver Member

Factory barreled actions , bedded into replacement stocks by me...

243 sps varmint

and at 1000y

308 sps tactical

223 sps tactical, groups a little wide but that is what happens when you are using a 223 at 1000y and are not a real good wind reader.

The factory SPS stocks suck... but I have no complaints about how they shoot...
Old 09-25-2013, 03:03 PM
Silver Member

Nice shooting, I just bought a Rem. 700 Varmint in .308 and hope to begin it's transfomation soon. Will do away with the stock and trigger to start. May take a while but i am patient. I couldn't pass up the price for a new rifle that was at Cabellas for the same price that Brownells wants for the action alone. As far as i can tell the quality of the barrel and receiver are the same as the ones i have gotten in the past. I got the ADL model. The stock and the trigger guard are a joke at best. The last Rem. i bought had an H&S precision stock but the cost was higher also. Seems like they would at least use some sort of metal for the trigger guard though. The bore seemed pretty smooth while cleaning it. I will do a good bit of polishing on the bore before breaking in. All in all, the quality of barrel and receiver are on par with the older ones. Maybe a few corners were cut but it seems like a sound rifle to me. ............... Larry