Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

View Poll Results: Would you buy a Rem 700
Yes 550 74.53%
No 188 25.47%
Voters: 738. You may not vote on this poll

Remington 700 quality

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2013, 04:29 AM
Silver Member

Re: Remington 700 quality

Thanks SargeSniper. I'll keep that in mind. I'm going to have a light rig built for elk and muley hunting. I just haven't decided on which rifle will be the action donor. I have an old 25/06 here that needs a new pipe. Could end up a 30/06 build,or the LSS in a 7 Remmy mag. It would be a whole lot easier if the 300 came back a shooter. Thanks again for the barrel tip,I appreciate it.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:52 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25 Otter View Post
Thanks SargeSniper. I'll keep that in mind. I'm going to have a light rig built for elk and muley hunting. I just haven't decided on which rifle will be the action donor. I have an old 25/06 here that needs a new pipe. Could end up a 30/06 build,or the LSS in a 7 Remmy mag. It would be a whole lot easier if the 300 came back a shooter. Thanks again for the barrel tip,I appreciate it.
Glad to help if i can. Good luck Otter. .............. SEMPER FI!
Old 07-15-2013, 08:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25 Otter View Post
All barrels with the exception of the better hand lapped blanks have a big and a small end.
I've slugged several factory 30 caliber barrels, including hammer forged, button rifled and broach rifled and none had smaller bore/groove diameters at the muzzle.

Even watched several broach rifled 7.62 NATO barrels made at the government arsenal in Springfield, MA, being air gauged for uniformity. They all were very uniform from the origin of the rifling all the way to the muzzle. While the groove diameter varied a few ten-thousandths between .3077" to .3082" across them individually, each one was uniform to .0001".

Maybe someone should explain to me how a rifling broach, button or hammer-forging mandrel can make a smaller diameter bore at the muzzle than at the breech end. Those tools stay the same size all the way through the barrel.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
I've slugged several factory 30 caliber barrels, including hammer forged, button rifled and broach rifled and none had smaller bore/groove diameters at the muzzle.

Even watched several broach rifled 7.62 NATO barrels made at the government arsenal in Springfield, MA, being air gauged for uniformity. They all were very uniform from the origin of the rifling all the way to the muzzle. While the groove diameter varied a few ten-thousandths between .3077" to .3082" across them individually, each one was uniform to .0001".

Maybe someone should explain to me how a rifling broach, button or hammer-forging mandrel can make a smaller diameter bore at the muzzle than at the breech end. Those tools stay the same size all the way through the barrel.
you need to read some of Bill Calfee's stuff. He'll tell you right off the bat that he uses about 40% of the new barrel blanks he receives. Also I have seen more than one in my lifetime, and I still own one that I cut off due to this issue alone.
gary
Old 07-15-2013, 10:45 AM
Platinum Member

If you turn down and profile a straight button rifled blank, it will have a slight taper from breech to muzzle. Are these the ones Calfee's referring to? Do the same thing to a hammer forged straight blank tapering it and the back end will have a slight taper to smaller at the breech end. Cut rifled barrels barely change any amount when turned down.

Finished barrels lapped and gauged from breech to muzzle will have no inside diameter tapers. But the first inch or two of each end will be at different diameters due to the rifling technique used. Good barrel makers mark the ends of their blanks where they need to be cut off to eliminate this problem. Chambering reamers get rid of the back end problems.

Most after market barrels are stamped with data on the breech end. Surely, no body would use that end for the muzzle, would they? And I really cannot figure out how a factory would put a barrel in a receiver backwards; especially when they're hammer forged to desired profile to begin with.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
If you turn down and profile a straight button rifled blank, it will have a slight taper from breech to muzzle. Are these the ones Calfee's referring to? Do the same thing to a hammer forged straight blank tapering it and the back end will have a slight taper to smaller at the breech end. Cut rifled barrels barely change any amount when turned down.

Finished barrels lapped and gauged from breech to muzzle will have no inside diameter tapers. But the first inch or two of each end will be at different diameters due to the rifling technique used. Good barrel makers mark the ends of their blanks where they need to be cut off to eliminate this problem. Chambering reamers get rid of the back end problems.

Most after market barrels are stamped with data on the breech end. Surely, no body would use that end for the muzzle, would they? And I really cannot figure out how a factory would put a barrel in a receiver backwards; especially when they're hammer forged to desired profile to begin with.
Calfee simply said right out of the box barrel blanks
gary
Old 07-16-2013, 10:50 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
I worked in manufacturing for 46 years in the machine tool trade. Nobody bats 1000. I've see items on the production line get thru more than one stage of inspection and allow items that should get thru, but do. Stamping the wrong end of a barrel would not be surprising to me. The only way to catch that mistake would be to check the barrel a 2nd time after stamping.