Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

View Poll Results: Would you buy a Rem 700
Yes 550 74.53%
No 188 25.47%
Voters: 738. You may not vote on this poll

Remington 700 quality

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 11:54 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Remington 700 quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomosendero View Post
A couple of months a go I was visiting some customers in Southern MO. & stopped by a gun shop. They had a new M700 Mil Spec in 308, it had 10th Anniversary on the barrel (don't know if that's sign.) and I bought it for $999.00. It is very smooth. I have ordered a scope and will be shooting it in a couple of weeks. I hope it shoots.

I have a lam. stock Sendero (they did that a little while) in 300WM & it kicks butt, amazing actually. I have an old ugly wood stocked M700 that is does very well.

I also have a regular Sendero that started in 25-06 that did not do as it should, I had Kirby true rec, skim bed, crown & rechamber to 25-06AI, it is the bomb now!

We shall see on that Mil Spec
I still remember the first 25-06 I ever shot. It was a Weatherby Vanguard in the walnut stock. Had a very early Leupold 3.5x-10x scope on it. The first group I shot was in a strait line horizontally, and each bullet was touching the other. The nextgroup was about .60" for five shots. I liked it so well that I bought an identical rifle in 30-06 complete with the same scope and mounts. It shot a 3/4" group first time out (factory Remington loads). These rifles were not cheap in the day, and probably cost about $540 with optics and mounts. The 25-06 belonged to my brother, and he later bought several quarter bore rifles. He managed to get his hands on one of the first Mod. 700 Mountain Rifles in .257 Roberts. It shot 3/4" groups, one right after another and would often dip down to around .60". In my book that was a fine rifle in everyway. Great balance, stock was well designed, and just kinda fit like a glove. Why can't they still do that? I'd have loved to had one in .250AI !!!

Everybody builds something that dosn't turn out as well as we'd want it to. Just happens, but we also need to own up to it and fix the problems. It's not just Remington. I had issues with one well known rifle scope maker, and finally gave up on them. Now they seemed to have turned things around a little bit. I had a buddy that bought a set of 6BR dies from a maker some folks think can walk on water. The sizer was junk, but all they wanted to do was to lay blame on the end user. He went thru several sets of dies from the same maker (returned them to the dealer we all love so well). The dealer told them they had a problem and they still wanted to argue with them. He bought a Forster die to hold him over till it was resolved (took almost a year), and they discovered that they had reamed every die with a bad reamer. The solution is to shut up and simply fix the problem without whining about it!
gary
Old 02-08-2013, 02:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
A couple of months a go I was visiting some customers in Southern MO. & stopped by a gun shop. They had a new M700 Mil Spec in 308, it had 10th Anniversary on the barrel (don't know if that's sign.) and I bought it for $999.00. It is very smooth. I have ordered a scope and will be shooting it in a couple of weeks. I hope it shoots.

I have a lam. stock Sendero (they did that a little while) in 300WM & it kicks butt, amazing actually. I have an old ugly wood stocked M700 that is does very well.

I also have a regular Sendero that started in 25-06 that did not do as it should, I had Kirby true rec, skim bed, crown & rechamber to 25-06AI, it is the bomb now!

The Milspecs are non catalog rifles that use the M24 barrel. I understand they are produced off line from the standard production rifles. I just bought my 4th in 300WM and have bought three 308's since they have been available. While the off the shelf rifles are hit or miss. All there of my Milpecs have the same chamber dimensions, are very well made and shoot as well as my customs with the same loads. The 5R barrel cleans qivkly and holds accuracy to at least 200 rounds with 168/175SMK's They all shoot .5 MOA with Federal Match ammo and .2-.3 with my hand loads. I hope my recently acquired 300WM does as well. Just go it yesterday. I have to say though, the MarkX trigger on the rifle I have is crap, and I already put one of my tuned, older Rem 700 triggers on it. Good luck with yours. Let us know how it shoots.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 02-20-2013, 02:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
The Milspecs are non catalog rifles that use the M24 barrel. I understand they are produced off line from the standard production rifles. I just bought my 4th in 300WM and have bought three 308's since they have been available. While the off the shelf rifles are hit or miss. All there of my Milpecs have the same chamber dimensions, are very well made and shoot as well as my customs with the same loads. The 5R barrel cleans qivkly and holds accuracy to at least 200 rounds with 168/175SMK's They all shoot .5 MOA with Federal Match ammo and .2-.3 with my hand loads. I hope my recently acquired 300WM does as well. Just go it yesterday. I have to say though, the MarkX trigger on the rifle I have is crap, and I already put one of my tuned, older Rem 700 triggers on it. Good luck with yours. Let us know how it shoots.
Remington does have the ability to turn out a good rifle. I spent the last week or so working on this new 300wm Milspec. As mentioned, this is my fourth, and it shoots just as well as my last three in 308. After I broke it in with about 40 rounds, this was one of four or five similiar groups at 200 yards. I still need to work up the velocity and check ES but the results so far look pretty good. The 5R barrel cleans up very quickly.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Remington 700 quality-300wm-1.jpg  

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 02-20-2013, 11:57 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Remington does have the ability to turn out a good rifle. I spent the last week or so working on this new 300wm Milspec. As mentioned, this is my fourth, and it shoots just as well as my last three in 308. After I broke it in with about 40 rounds, this was one of four or five similiar groups at 200 yards. I still need to work up the velocity and check ES but the results so far look pretty good. The 5R barrel cleans up very quickly.
Fantastic, I hope to be shooting my 308 soon.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Greyfox, you are absolutely correct on the " ability to turn out a good rifle". The one you just got is testament to that, and that is some damn good shooting in anybodies book.
I made a comment earlier in this thread about the fact that I have been a Remington man for the most of my life, and that the quality of the " new stuff" is substandard , as compared to what we are USED to seeing .
Seeing groups like your rifle is yielding, is encouraging , and it lends you to think that, one, they may be getting it together now, or, that some of the rifles that are seeming to have issues, and made by a different assembly group within the factory, with different machines and personell. I still am a Remington man at heart, and probably always will be. The inventory in my gunsafe proves it, custom or factory.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Nomosendero, just wanted to comment on the " Laminated stocked Sendero". Yeah, they did a run on them a while back, an I happened to see one in 7 STW on gun broker awhile ago. It was Gorgeous, and went for a high price as well. I tried to buy it, but the price went through the roof. I believe those stocks were made by S&K, which is the company that made the laminated stocks for the Varmint laminated series that they used to have, or maybe still do! Very nice!
Old 02-24-2013, 10:02 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
Nomosendero, just wanted to comment on the " Laminated stocked Sendero". Yeah, they did a run on them a while back, an I happened to see one in 7 STW on gun broker awhile ago. It was Gorgeous, and went for a high price as well. I tried to buy it, but the price went through the roof. I believe those stocks were made by S&K, which is the company that made the laminated stocks for the Varmint laminated series that they used to have, or maybe still do! Very nice!
I saw one of those STW's, sure wish I had bought it!
We have a very good Smith in this area that builds alot of 7STW's they are very popular around here.
My 300 is the best shooting factory 300WM I have seen & is my favorite rifle.