Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

View Poll Results: Would you buy a Rem 700
Yes 550 74.53%
No 188 25.47%
Voters: 738. You may not vote on this poll

Remington 700 quality

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 10:45 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Remington 700 quality

i have been a remington fan since i was old enough to know about guns.with that said the newer factory guns dont hold a candel to the tikkas or even the new savages(never thought i would say id like a savage better then a remmy) but here is the thing. remmys have all kinda extras you can do to them where tikka wellits pretty much done as soon as you buy it
Old 11-11-2012, 12:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
Mike, WOW, I read that whole link!!! And then we wonder why!! I too am a " Big Green " fan from way back, but that's just it, the older stuff is far and away better than the " off the shelf " stuff nowadays. I bought a new CDL last November, and was never so disgusted with a rifle as that one. It looked great, bit I just couldn't get it to shoot like I know it could. I had heard that CS sucked, so I traded it in, toward another used, but older Remington, that shoots like a lazer. ( go figure).
Bottom line is, the Remington that we grew up with is dead and gone. What exists today that calls itself " Remington" is just a store front.
Mike Walker must be rolling over I'm sure!!!! That man had a vision!!!!!!
I like Remington rifles, but not the newer stuff (last fifteen years). My only real complaint about them is their trigger / saftey and I wish the action was about .150" longer (short action). I also have said more than once I wish the bridge was a little longer, so the barrel thread could have a little more support. But in most cases I can live with it being on the short side. It would be nice if Remington sold a single shot bolt gun like some others do. With this in mind and anybody that knows me will tell you my favorite walking gun is a short action mod. 700 in .223. I've literally shot dozens of coyotes with it, and plan on handing it down to my new grandson in the future (along with two or three fly rods). Gotta set him up right from the start!! On the otherhand I don't think it's right for the average Joe to have to rebuild a rifle right out of the box.

Lets hope that Remington dosn't screw up the 541 series of rifles!
gary
Old 11-11-2012, 12:55 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelfootball73 View Post
i have been a remington fan since i was old enough to know about guns.with that said the newer factory guns dont hold a candel to the tikkas or even the new savages(never thought i would say id like a savage better then a remmy) but here is the thing. remmys have all kinda extras you can do to them where tikka wellits pretty much done as soon as you buy it
I'm with you.

Imagine buying a T.V. for a slightly lesser price that had such poor quality sound you had to replace the speakers, a remote were the buttons didn't work and a cord that was a fire hazard and needed to be replaced. You do all that but it still has an annoying humming sound so you send it back but the next one is just the same. Or... for an extra $100, you could buy one that you take out of the box, plug it in and watch it every night for the next 10 years without a 2nd thought of quality. Seems like an easy choice. It's so easy and logical, it's deceptive. Particularly if you pappy used to buy only RCA's.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:52 AM
Silver Member

i have a remington 700 bdl in 270 that was made in 1983, and the exact same gun that was made in 2008,they shoot my petload exactly the same (3/4''). the polish and blueing is alot nicer on the older 270. i dont care much for the trigger on the newer one. my dad bought a brand new 270 a month ago and it was shooting a 4'' group, after floating the barrel it only shoots 1.5''. I think the quality just keeps getting worse. i have a remington 798 in 243 that was made in serbia by zastava that is a tackdriver. It seems to me that they dropped the only thing that they had going for them.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:44 AM
Platinum Member

I just had a conversation with a guy that bought a new 700 SPS in .308. I swear he told me he was shooting nine inch groups with it using factory 150 grain loads (Remington)!! My turkey gun might give it a run for group size. But to be fair he went with some better stuff and now is shooting in the mid four inch range. I don't think there's much wrong with the rifle itself, but think his rings and bases are rather suspect. Now the rifle was the first to blame here! But I'm betting it's a combo of the shooter and the scope installation. I gave him a check list of things to do, and they'll eat up the major part of the week for him; yet won't void the warranty. We all want to blame whole shebang when in the end we need to look in the mirror. Everybody makes a lemon from time to time. But you gain a lot of respect when you own up to it and fix the problem without the slightest wimper.
gary
Old 11-13-2012, 08:14 PM
Bronze Member

Trickymissfit, would you keep us posted on if the list you gave him fixed those group sizes?
Old 11-14-2012, 03:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmo View Post
Trickymissfit, would you keep us posted on if the list you gave him fixed those group sizes?
actually it was just simple stuff like checking the quality of the bedding and the recoil lug area, plus making sure there was clearence around the barrel, trigger housing, and bolt handle. Then I had him remove the scope and bases, and throw away the rings and bases (junk). I told him how to bed the bases with JP Weld and to buy a set of Burris Signature rings with the plastic inserts. Plus he needed to get ahold of a good inch pound torque wrench that was knwn to be accurate in the 30 to 50 inch pound area. Really pretty easy stuff to spot. The scope he was using wasn't the greatest, but I doubt that itself was worth those group sizes. I just couldn't see it being that bad from the start, and probably just the scope mounts and a little retorquing the bedding screws properly. A lot of folks go head on into a panic without fiirst taking a serious look to see what's wrong. Often a simple fix. Have not heard what he found yet, but will let you know.
gary