Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

View Poll Results: Would you buy a Rem 700
Yes 550 74.53%
No 188 25.47%
Voters: 738. You may not vote on this poll

Remington 700 quality

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2012, 02:38 AM

Re: Remington 700 quality

The accustock models are not exactly bargain priced at well over $600. You are not necessarily getting a more accurate rifle than one without the Accustock. Savage rifles are notorious for their fine factory accuracy.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:54 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
CNBC Remington under fire,

No I wouldn't buy one
It's not just Remington that's under fire. It's the entire industry. Remington was just a convenient target.

It's probably best not to turn our backs on anyone in the firearm industry, especially because of a cooked up claim by the media based on an extremely small sample of failures. Remington is a giant for us in the fight for the 2nd amendment. We need Remington's support as much as they need ours.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentc View Post
It's not just Remington that's under fire. It's the entire industry. Remington was just a convenient target.

It's probably best not to turn our backs on anyone in the firearm industry, especially because of a cooked up claim by the media based on an extremely small sample of failures. Remington is a giant for us in the fight for the 2nd amendment. We need Remington's support as much as they need ours.
While I agree with the overall notion that the arms companies are key to the support of our liberties, it's pretty clear that Remington's quality has slipped over the past few years, and I suspect they have lost market share to their competitors. They are responsible for addressing this. The only real support a company gets is when people buy their products.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 11-08-2012, 07:32 PM

I have to agree with greyfox, lets face it if we lose our 2nd amendment rights, arms manufacturer's have more to lose than anyone but remington rested on their rep and other manufacturers have surpassed them, but what i found the most troubling was the total lack of concern when they sent me a gun with a faulty trigger. that is inexcusable.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:54 AM
Platinum Member

Most of the big ticket corporations over the last fifteen to twenty years has experienced a major (and often rude) awakening that the products going out the door are sub standard. It's not just firearms but everything from cars to TV sets. Some got the message sooner than others and some rufused to ever admit it, and died. Remington is still in the limbo state; where their corporate managers refuse to admit it. Can they turn this around? Certainly! Will they turn it around? We cannot say, and only they can.

I worked for a corporation that was so big that Remingtons plants would have been lost inside it. We had one side of the division that ran between 40% and 46% scrap! (aircraft) Luckly here none of it ever went out the door. The other side wasn't a lot better and often was in the mid to low 30% bracket. The aircraft side now is in the 6% to 8% bracket (better than 90% of the competetors). The otherside is now running at well under 2% scrap. What this gave them was free money to reinvest with. It also cut warranty cost to less than a percent, and is the industry standard for the rest. This came about with an effort from the folks on the work floor and managment.

Can Remington clean up their act? Most likly they can, but they have to make a major change in their train of thought. People don't by products anymore on their names. They look items that meets their needs and stays together. Their designs are sound, and have been proven out over the years (yes we all know they've had some glitches, but everyone could have been fixed easilly). Right now they are operating on the 1970's car quality train of thought, and this won't work in today's markets.
gary
Old 11-09-2012, 11:24 AM
Platinum Member

Agree. I also believe that Reminton like many other companies are missing the social media phenomenon. The entire way people make decisions about what they buy and who they buy it from has changed. Companies like Savage, Nightforce, Berger, etc. would have had a much more difficult time building their business 10-20 years ago without this change in the market. People have made their decision before they walk into the store today.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 11-09-2012, 03:11 PM
Bronze Member

G'Day Fella's,

As Trickymissfit mentioned, not only have quality gone out the window with some products but also service!
I put all of this down to direct effect of Globalisation!!!

Doh!
Homer