Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

View Poll Results: Would you buy a Rem 700
Yes 550 74.53%
No 188 25.47%
Voters: 738. You may not vote on this poll

Remington 700 quality

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 11:07 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Remington 700 quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacabill View Post
i also bought a 700 xcr in 300 ultramag and it would not shoot. i sent to a good gunsmith who accurized it and it shoots about a 1 1/2' group now. i have two xcrs and have had similar problems. i wonder if it is caused by the hardening process.
What metal part do you think would a bad hardening process effect that would cause poor accuracy?
Old 04-26-2012, 06:00 AM

i just bought a rem 700 AAC SD in 308 w/xmark pro trigger. the trigger is useless. will only adjust from 4 1/2 to 5 lbs. i had planned to build off this rifle eventually but hoped i could shoot it while i saved the money to do it. after reading comments on line about the x mark i know to send it back is a waste of time and the rem rep said he had never heard of anyone else having this problem even though there are tons of people posting this comment on line. then he said"well you can send it in if you want but not just the trigger has to be the whole gun and anyway most people just buy aftermarket for these guns" coulda had a savage!
Old 04-26-2012, 10:16 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornlucky View Post
anyway most people just buy aftermarket for these guns" coulda had a savage!
The trigger concept is pretty basic, and it spans across all makes and models. If you can't get the factory trigger to adjust to your liking, it's time to start replacing parts. It's no different for Savage, Ruger, Sako, etc. You're actually quite lucky you've got a Remington that has a whole world of aftermarket parts to modify your gun to your liking. The pickings are quite slim with others.

The point is, you buy or change what you need to make the gun work the way you want it to no matter what brand name it is and no matter the part.

You shouldn't be expecting a factory rifle to come straight out of the box and do 100% of what you want especially at our a higher than normal performance expectations.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacabill View Post
i also bought a 700 xcr in 300 ultramag and it would not shoot. i sent to a good gunsmith who accurized it and it shoots about a 1 1/2' group now. i have two xcrs and have had similar problems. i wonder if it is caused by the hardening process.
most barrel makers use some sort of "pretreat" steel right from the start, and depending on the steel lot; they may never change during machining. But still a cheap Chinese bar of steel will be nothing like something out of a certified lot of steel. In otherwords you get what you pay for. Stainless steels are even worse in quality. European stainless steels used to be the best there was, but now are amonst the worst. Companys save tooling cost and wear by going with a very high sulphur content stainless steel, and as the metal heats and cools they tend to deteriorate.

I once heard what the exact alloy number was that Remington and also the one Savage used for their actions. (chrome moly) It's kind of a custom designed alloy, but still very similar to 4xxx pretreat steel. Using this stuff puts you way ahead in the normalizing game, and that's money. The stainless actions all pretty much use 416 or something very close to it. But just because it's a 416 stainless steel does not make them all the same (sorry P.O. Ackley but you were wrong on this one).

If the problems in the Remington actions evolved around heat treating (they don't do as much as most think they do), the warpage would be less than .007" in the reciever. But with a pretreat steel that comes off the truck at 30Rc, your already there. Barrels will probably have to be straitened slightly after drilling, and may have it done a final time after being rifeled. But if they are using the hammer process they maybe be indicing a large amount of stress, and then as the barrels heats and cools it changes all over the place. I would think they would use a softer grade of steel for doing this process, and then normalize them prior to a final heat treat.

But knowing a little bit about what's going on in their plant, I'd say that the steel and heat contribute very little to the problems. It's their tooling and the way they take care of it. To be exact they simply don't take care of their tooling at all. You change the oil in your car and keep the front end aligned just like clockwork. They never check alignments on their equipment, and do very little to keep their machinery running the way it was intended to.
gary
Old 04-26-2012, 11:28 AM

the coating process on the barrel and action. I don't know much about it but it is unusual that all the problems I have had is on XCR"S. I have a number of 700's and I have not had those problems.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
Barrels will probably have to be straitened slightly after drilling, and may have it done a final time after being rifeled. But if they are using the hammer process they maybe be indicing a large amount of stress, and then as the barrels heats and cools it changes all over the place. I would think they would use a softer grade of steel for doing this process, and then normalize them prior to a final heat treat.
Years ago, Remington barrels were button rifled; thanks to Mike Walker's work in getting that rifling process costs down to reasonable limits. They were the most accurate ones they made and very responsible for the Remington 7XX model's popularity and great factory rifle accuracy.

Some years ago, they changed to hammer forged barrels. No rifle competitor winning and setting records uses hammer forged barrels that I know of; button or cut rifled ones bring home the trophies. Winchester's hammer forged barrels used in their post-'64 Model 70 .308 Win. target models were pretty good, but not the equal of the button rifled ones on Remington 40X target rifles.

Savage button rifles their barrels.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
Years ago, Remington barrels were button rifled; thanks to Mike Walker's work in getting that rifling process costs down to reasonable limits. They were the most accurate ones they made and very responsible for the Remington 7XX model's popularity and great factory rifle accuracy.

Some years ago, they changed to hammer forged barrels. No rifle competitor winning and setting records uses hammer forged barrels that I know of; button or cut rifled ones bring home the trophies. Winchester's hammer forged barrels used in their post-'64 Model 70 .308 Win. target models were pretty good, but not the equal of the button rifled ones on Remington 40X target rifles.

Savage button rifles their barrels.
sometime back the guys at Precision Shooting did a comparison thing, and swore up and down that there was little difference. BVut that artical was so flawed that it was a joke, or probably put on by somebody on Remington's payroll! I think the last button barrel I ever saw on a Remington was on a 722 and a 40x (maybe). The Remingtons I had in the late 1970's were hammer forged
gary