Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

View Poll Results: Would you buy a Rem 700
Yes 550 74.53%
No 188 25.47%
Voters: 738. You may not vote on this poll

Remington 700 quality

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2012, 05:23 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Remington 700 quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacabill View Post
I had a 3 in group. I called remington and bitched. They said send it back. I did . I received it back with a note they cleaned the gun and sent me a card back with a group of 3 shots that are 1.3 in and said this group is .95 in. I have showed everyone i know this and they and they couldn't figure out how they got less than a 1 in group.
First off, a group measuring 1.3" across the two furthest hole's outside edge will measure about .95" center to center. I would call them then ask how they measure groups.

Second, maybe the guy at the factory shoots better and/or tests differently than you do. No slam against you, but this does happen.

Third, years ago, a factory rep for Remington (good friend) who won the High Power Nationals once in the early '60's said Remington 700's factory spec for calibers 27 and larger was 1" at a hundred yards.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:31 AM

i posted this same comment on a different thread as well but to build a rifle or even customizing one if it isn't a rem 700 your selection of stocks, triggers, barrels etc.
is very limited. It is getting better at least for savage, and weatherby aftermarket but still pales in comparison. i bought a marlin x7 new in .243 for $340 and it outshoots my $750 dollar remington hands down. The new savages for out of the box accuracy IMHO leaves the new rems in the dust. i wish the after market manufacturers would catch up.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:12 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornlucky View Post
i posted this same comment on a different thread as well but to build a rifle or even customizing one if it isn't a rem 700 your selection of stocks, triggers, barrels etc.
is very limited. It is getting better at least for savage, and weatherby aftermarket but still pales in comparison. i bought a marlin x7 new in .243 for $340 and it outshoots my $750 dollar remington hands down. The new savages for out of the box accuracy IMHO leaves the new rems in the dust. i wish the after market manufacturers would catch up.
Nothing wrong with tricking one out and if that's your plan from the get go, then buying one for aftermarket support makes sense. I'd venture to guess that many or most people are more than willing to shoot it and if it shoots, to leave it alone. Remington's been around for a long time and has plenty of market share. There's no good reason why they're not in the front seat as far as performance and quality goes.

Profitability expectations from the parent company (Freedom Group) no doubt plays a huge role in how profits are spent or simply taken. It's common enough to bleed off the profits from a successful company to support lesser acquisitions. It could be the work force has just had the pride beaten out of them Who knows? All I know is that you can go into a gun store and point in almost any direction and pick up a rifle that is attempting to improve their reputation for accuracy and reliability.

It reminds me of the U.S. Postal Service. They used to do "Overnight Mail" until one day they finally had to admit they just weren't any good at quick calling it "Overnight" and started calling it "Priority Mail". The Remington Company is adrift while their competitors are focused upon manufacturing products their Customers are asking for. They're fine for the bones for a build but sometimes you just want to spend your money and be satisfied with your purchase.

I didn't leave Remington, they left me.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacabill View Post
I recently bought a rem 700 ultramag from remington custom shop. I had a custom scope made by leupold, i bought 5 boxes of berger 168 gr vld and proceeded to sight my rifle in. I shot it and cleaned i repeatedly, after about 20 rounds i thought i better get serious about sighting it in. I shot three shot groups and cleaned it. At first it shot about a 5 in group, i thought it needed more shooting and cleaning, after 30 or so rounds it wasn't doing any better . I talked to my gunsmith and told him the problem he said try toking the stock evenly to 60 ft lbs. I did and shot it again and it was better . I had a 3 in group. I called remington and bitched. They said send it back. I did . I received it back with a note they cleaned the gun and sent me a card back with a group of 3 shots that are 1.3 in and said this group is .95 in. I have showed everyone i know this and they and they couldn't figure out how they got less than a 1 in group. I am hoping to shoot it on sunday to see if it is any different. They did say they did anything else and did not say how far the target was. I don't know what would make it shoot any better, hopefully it does. I was disappointed from the fact it did not shoot out of the box as much as this rifle costs. I could have bought a $500 weatherby that would have shot better.
I seriously doubt cleaning the barrel is the issue here. I think you got the first hint when you retorqued the bedding screws. Would be interesting to see what the area that the recoil lug contacts looks like, and I'd just about bet that a light skim bed job along with a full bore rebed in the recoil lug would make a big difference. Also have you gave the fired cases a real close examination? Sometimes you can pick out problems with the chambering job.
gary
Old 04-21-2012, 12:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornlucky View Post
I have a Marlin MR-7 in the safe chambered in 30-06. It was one of the very first ones delivered, and at the time only offered them in two calibers (.280 and 30-06). With junk factory stuff it will shoot about 1.25" groups, and has no trouble shooting 3/4" groups with hand loads literally thrown together. Can't make it shoot 180 grain bullets very well, but 150's and 165's shoot very well in it. Not a target rifle of course, but a real good hunting rifle. Kinda wish I'd bought it in .280 instead, as I have several 30-06's already. .270 Winchester would have been even better, or 25-06.
gary
Old 04-21-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickymissfit View Post
i seriously doubt cleaning the barrel is the issue here. I think you got the first hint when you retorqued the bedding screws. Would be interesting to see what the area that the recoil lug contacts looks like, and i'd just about bet that a light skim bed job along with a full bore rebed in the recoil lug would make a big difference. Also have you gave the fired cases a real close examination? Sometimes you can pick out problems with the chambering job.
Gary
i think what bothers me the most is to spend so much and get so little. I'll check out the cases, i hope to shoot it tomorrow.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:31 PM
Silver Member

Remington is my first choice. I've had to put a Houge stock on my SS 243, the one it came with was noisy. I consider it a reasonable tradeoff. It is a very accurate rifle. I am about to buy a Sendero in 264 Win.