Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

View Poll Results: Would you buy a Rem 700
Yes 550 74.53%
No 188 25.47%
Voters: 738. You may not vote on this poll

Remington 700 quality

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 03:19 PM

Re: Remington 700 quality

Bought a new in box LH 700 VSF 308 few years ago and to make a long and frustrating story short i ended up spending over twice the starting price to get the rifle to shoot decently.
As i live in Europe the rifle ended up costing about the same as the price for a new Blaser but still not as accurate even if my blaser is a light short hunting rifle...

I might have got a lemon but im never going to buy another one!
Old 04-12-2012, 10:26 PM

My Remington 700BDL was bought second hand in 1978. I'd buy another A serialed version tomorrow if I was in need of one. I'm pretty happy with the way this one shoots. Here's the first handload I ever ran through it.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Remington 700 quality-imgp0256.jpg  
Old 04-16-2012, 07:08 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauer View Post
Bought a new in box LH 700 VSF 308 few years ago and to make a long and frustrating story short i ended up spending over twice the starting price to get the rifle to shoot decently.
As i live in Europe the rifle ended up costing about the same as the price for a new Blaser but still not as accurate even if my blaser is a light short hunting rifle...

I might have got a lemon but im never going to buy another one!

Yikes...

I'll bet the outside of the rifle was shiny though!

Keep in mind, Remington doesn't sell it's product to you and me. They sell them to Dealers. If you love your Remington, tell your Dealer. If you don't, take it back and make a scene if you have to. Firearm sales are final but a good Dealer will stand behind it's product. It's not to much to ask that they stock products that work to expectations and to do something about it if they don't. If Dealers spent 3 or 4 times the man hours handling a typical transaction because of poor quality or performance, then they'll take their case to the Manufacturer. If the Dealer rolls his eyes every time he sees you walk into his store, that means he understands how hard you had to work for the money you spend in his establishment.

The idea that delivering a new rifle to the gunsmith to make it function how you thought it would is ridiculous. You wouldn't do that with a washing machine would you? A tight/straight action, a good tube and a fair trigger. Without that, we shouldn't even be thinking about fit and finish.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:46 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALTINE WARRIOR View Post
My Remington 700BDL was bought second hand in 1978. I'd buy another A serialed version tomorrow if I was in need of one. I'm pretty happy with the way this one shoots. Here's the first handload I ever ran through it.
If your happy, that's all that counts.

That's some seriously legible printing! Just curious... was shot No. 1 from a cold, clean barrel or cold, fouled barrel or neither or can't remember cause it was a while ago? Most of my Rem's threw the first shot 3-4".
Old 04-17-2012, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 338 View Post
Yikes...

I'll bet the outside of the rifle was shiny though!

Keep in mind, Remington doesn't sell it's product to you and me. They sell them to Dealers. If you love your Remington, tell your Dealer. If you don't, take it back and make a scene if you have to. Firearm sales are final but a good Dealer will stand behind it's product. It's not to much to ask that they stock products that work to expectations and to do something about it if they don't. If Dealers spent 3 or 4 times the man hours handling a typical transaction because of poor quality or performance, then they'll take their case to the Manufacturer. If the Dealer rolls his eyes every time he sees you walk into his store, that means he understands how hard you had to work for the money you spend in his establishment.

The idea that delivering a new rifle to the gunsmith to make it function how you thought it would is ridiculous. You wouldn't do that with a washing machine would you? A tight/straight action, a good tube and a fair trigger. Without that, we shouldn't even be thinking about fit and finish.
The biggest issue was that factory warranty does not say much for US guns in my country these days, sending a rifle to the US becuse of issues in simply impossible due to incredibly high cost of import/export fees to the US

Ofcorse thats not Remingtonīs fault in any way but given how the M700 rifles are today(imo) compared to similar priced rifles ill give them a pass!

Thankfully there are often older M700īs on the used market and they are top notch rifles so atleast i have that option

Also my old M722 in 222rem and old battered 1100 12 gauge simply refuse to stop working
Old 04-17-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 338 View Post
If your happy, that's all that counts.

That's some seriously legible printing! Just curious... was shot No. 1 from a cold, clean barrel or cold, fouled barrel or neither or can't remember cause it was a while ago? Most of my Rem's threw the first shot 3-4".

I used to get paid well for that printing in the pre-CAD days. The first two shots were walking it in to the point of aim.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:49 PM
Platinum Member

I've recently heard from folks well entrenched in military sniper rifle accuracy and they say the recent Rem 700 based sniper rifles don't shoot all that great compared to the early ones.