Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

remington 700 problem. help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 07:16 PM
Silver Member

remington 700 problem. help

I am very frustrated. I sent my gun to a gunsmith. he was supposed to do somework on it. when he returned the gun to me, the gun was shooting to the left and very low. i tried centering the gun but i ran out of windage adjustment to the right. The gun was perfectly zeroed before i sent it to him. I think he messed up my scope. what do you guys think?

and to make things worst, while reinstalling the scope i messed up one of the screws that holds the bases to the action. I messed up the thread of the screw hole. I dont know how to fix this. can anyone help me to fix it?

gil
Old 04-20-2013, 07:26 PM
Gold Member

Re: remington 700 problem. help

So I take it that the smith removed the scope and base/bases ? to do his work ?

Tell us whether you have a one piece or 2 piece scope base and what rings you have. Did you get it back with the scope and bases separate from the action ?

A picture will help too.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:42 PM
Silver Member

I am thinking that this guy worked on the guy without removing the scope and he messed it up because of that. I think i will have to send it back to zeiss to get it repaired. This really sucks. I had been waiting for that gun for weeks now and it turns out I dont have a scope that works.

the bases are two pieces.

they are similar to these ones. But i dont think these are the ones i have

Millett Turn-In Base & Rings Combo 1in Medium Matte Remington 700
Old 04-20-2013, 07:56 PM
Gold Member

So how many scopes have you sighted in or fitted to an action ?

If you have a 2 piece base, you know that the front and back section are different, right ? The curvature at the back of a Remington Receiver is not the same as at the front.

Did you bore sight it ? Do you know what bore sighting is ? If you do anything to an optic or mount, it is the first thing you check BEFORE you go to the range. With a bore sighting, you should be on paper at 50 yards, every time.

So, starting at the beginning, it sounds like the scope was mounted when you got it back. If so, what were you doing to it that got the thread to the action stripped ? To get to those screws usually requires that you take the scope out the rings and the rings off the base first ?

So how about telling us the whole story and not leaving out any parts ?
Old 04-21-2013, 08:07 AM
Bronze Member

G 1,
When you took your rifle and scope to the gun smith, Why did you take it to a gunsmith for??What was the condition your rig was in when you left it with him, were you shooting it at that time? How did you locate this gunsmith?
We realy need this info, and as plain as it was ask?Was it a shooting rig? If so what was the gun smith to do? I am not trying to be any kind of *****, I would like to help you if I can understand what we have to deal with?
I am not on here very much (wished I was), but I think if you can answer the question's I have ask? I know with out a doubt that you will get your answer.
I have more question to ask you, but my back won't allow that!
Sorry
Greg
Old 04-21-2013, 10:12 AM
Platinum Member

using burris zee rings with the plastic inserts are a cheap solution
Old 04-21-2013, 11:34 AM
Silver Member

I have mounted numerous scopes in my life and I know how to zero them. I use much care when I mount them. I use levels and a fat wrench to make them level and not to over tighten them.

The rifle was in very good working order before I took it to the smith. It is a remington vls in 243 caliber. the gun was shooting sub moa at 100 yards. I took it to the smith so he could install a jewel trigger and a muzzle brake. The brake was installed and the trigger too. Both seem to be properly installed.

when i got it, the gun seemed to be somewhat unclean. So i cleaned it. I didnt think much about it. but when I went to shoot it, I could not zero the scope. The gun was shooting low and to the left. I was able to correct the elevation but not the windage. I ran out of clicks. Of course, this was not a problem before I sent it to the smith.

I will try another scope to see what happens, and If the gun zeroes, I am thinking I will have to get my scope repaired.