Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Remington 700 barrel and stock contact?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 08:56 PM

Remington 700 barrel and stock contact?

Factory rem 700 sps stock hits the barrel on each side of the end of the stock. Should I sand the little tabs down to achieve a "free float" ? Or just not mess with it?

Old 10-22-2013, 09:31 PM
Silver Member

Re: Remington 700 barrel and stock contact?

My factory SPS needed front end pressure after I set it in a new stock. The "always free float" mantra didn't hold up for me.
You could go in stages, checking groups on the factory setup, then epoxy the front pockets to stiffen it up, then bed some pillars and bed the action. Worst case you fubar a $20 stock. Best case it shoots and you get some bedding practice.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:18 AM
Silver Member

Re: Remington 700 barrel and stock contact?

I noticed the same thing with my SPS 7 RM. I was a bit concerned by it, but went ahead and shot the gun with several test loads. Long story short, I found several loads that shot like poop, but I also found two loads that shot lights out. I have gone with the loads that shot well and have not looked back. I am going to put a new stock on the gun when I shoot the factory barrel out and convert it to a 7 STW, but until then I am as happy as a pig in mud with what they gun does.