Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Remington 700 5r safety problem?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2010, 11:56 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Remington 700 5r safety problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewilson View Post
there is no, nor has there ever been any safety issue with the 700 rifle.
don't bet the farm on that statement! If you do your gonna loose it. I have a 700 that's fired when the saftey is let off several times (on it's third trigger now, and so far this one hasn't in about 200 rounds). There's also about a dozen people that could testify to this as well if we could bring them back from the grave. I think the problem is not just the trigger alone, but a combination of the saftey design and the trigger group itself. Mike Walker discovered this problem many many years ago and suggested a redesign at Remington, and they never followed thru (Mr. Walker designed the 722, 40x, 700, and maybe the 600 series).
yes there is a problem
gary
Old 12-01-2010, 11:58 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Remington 700 5r safety problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewilson View Post
the rem 700 is a mechanical device. it can fail, just like any other mechanical device. it can also be adjusted improperly or have cleaning fluids run all through them causing them to gunk up and malfunction. this is the cause of the malfunctions. the injuries and deaths were caused by misshandling of the firearm. cars malfunction every day and kill people. usually it's a combination of missuse or misshandling that causes the death.
no, i am not involved with any sporting goods manufacturer other than i buy and use their products.
Mike Walker found the problem at the factory, and if anybody knows the design he does as it was his design
gary