Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

remington 40xb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2005, 10:22 AM
Platinum Member

remington 40xb

perhaps this is not the proper forum,if not, my apologies.i'm looking for some feedback on the rem. 40xb rifles (single shot) how they perform as received. any one out there have experience with rifles. also how long does it take to get one from the remington custom shop? thanks, jimm
Old 01-19-2005, 11:53 AM
Platinum Member

Re: remington 40xb

I have owned a few 40x's over the years. In my opinion I would save a few more bucks and get one of the gunsmiths who frequent this forum to build me a rifle. My most recent 40x was not a great example of rifle-building. After a very talented gunsmith rebuilt it we got superb accuracy, but everything he did I would have expected to have been already taken care of at the factory. Very nice single-shot action tho. I really like my 40x's after they have been rebuilt, trued, squared, blue-printed or whatever you want to call the activities involved in making an action true to the center of the bore.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:06 PM
Platinum Member

thanks ian , what is the comparison in costs for a custom built vs. a 40xb that has been trued/tuned ? my understanding is that the 40xb has an excellent trigger that is adjustable .also just to muddy the water a little more what about those cooper arms of montana rifles? they deliver the gun shooting one hole groups,this a gimmick? thanks , jimm
Old 01-19-2005, 05:27 PM
Platinum Member

The Coopers are wonderful shooting rifles, I have been fortunate to shoot several in various calibers. Workmanship is beautiful, all wood and all single shot actions so far.
I would not suggest buying a 40X and getting it rebuilt like I did. I just wanted to know what the custom shop did for that model. Some basic action work and cutting five inches off the barrel turned the .223 into a one-holer if I can hold it properly.
Hard to beat a good custom rifle, they just plain do a hell of a job.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:10 PM
Platinum Member

ian m, many thanks for indulging a newbie!i want to build a loooong range shooter. i also want to try and get it right the first time.i have been using the .300 win mag for some time now and have not experienced any problems with the cases even after 4 to 5 reloads. certainly ihave to trim about every third pass but other than that no diff than my .243 . my gun is old , ihave no idea about throat erosion etc. it shoots a 3 shot 100 yd. group of 1"outside to outside(iknow this is not accurate speak but i will try to improve.do you think i could benefit by having my rifle rebarrelled and truing / tuning done at a lower cost than a new rifle? also,can i send it to the gunsmith direct? so many questions, so little time, thanks ,jimm
Old 01-19-2005, 09:53 PM
Platinum Member

Jim,
If your rifle is shooting that well you are good to get into this game. In reality what most guys do not realize is that the scope is the thing that needs upgrading more times than the rifle when someone is starting out. An excellent rule of thumb is that the scope and mounts will cost at least as much as the rifle. To really enjoy the potential of your rifle you will need a scope with accurate, reliable, repeatable turrets - power can be from 10-15 power, you do not need more. As you get into this you will become aware of how important the turrets are, then you can decide on the reticle, then on what paralax adjustments (side turret or objective), then on a mounting system that incorporates additional elevation. You can go the Chevy route or the Cadilac route with optics - suggest you stay away from the real low end stuff because you will end up buying good stuff eventually.

Best advice I can give you is to find a suitable safe practice location, find a partner, get some targets, get some knowledge, shoot in windy conditions as much as possible, keep diligent notes and be prepared to load a lot of ammo. Hitting steel plates at 700-1000 yards is how we practice for our hunting seasons, my plates range from 6"x6" up to 2'x4'. Bottom line is to learn from your shooting, then skill will develope, then confidence will develope, then critters will die way out there.

Go through the FAQ and the search function and you will find a lot of basic info here to get you going. Ask questions, that is how most of us got into the game. Get your skills up to the potential of your equipment, then upgrade your rifle - by the time you are really getting into the long range game that .300 will need a rebuild.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:11 AM
Bronze Member

Jimm: Take a look at Bob White's selection of used BR guns at benchrest.com/shooterscorner.com. I bought a used 40x in 6BR for about $1000 and it shoots in the .2's. If you want something that shoots better you will probably need to go with a custom action.