Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Remington 40X or other action for build?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-07-2010, 11:50 AM
Silver Member

Re: Remington 40X or other action for build?

I appreciate y'all's input. I have a particular affinity for 40X models since one of my first competition rifles was a USMC 40X .22LR years ago. The previous owner of my second 40X (the position rifle) was a competition shooter, as well, and assured me that the accuracy had not dropped off with the barrel prior to his refinishing of the stock and removing the bedding, but he had not shot it since that time. I have not fired a shot through it in the four years I have owned it. Are the position rifles more desirable as complete rifles than standard 40Xs? Below is another photo with the grip for offhand shooting. If I do part it out, do people want these old wooden stocks? I figure there is some use for the sights since they can go on so many competition rifles, but the 40X community seems so small to start with, so I figure moving a stock is tougher. Perhaps I better just sell it complete; with my discount, the Surgeon action is under $800, so I could probably get it and some other components for the value of the 40X and not have to tear down such a beautiful rifle.