Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Rem LTR vs Rem 5R

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2008, 07:58 PM
Bronze Member

Rem LTR vs Rem 5R

I need a LR hunting rifle in 308 and I am looking at both of the 5R and the LTR.
Can you give me the pros and cons for both rifles?
Most shots will be inside 700yds across open fields taken from elevated box stands with a good rest.

THANKS
Coach
Old 07-20-2008, 08:11 PM
Silver Member

You'll squeeze a few more fps out of the 5R and on average, they are more accurate out of the box and the barrels supposedly clean up easier. That's not to say that you may come across a 5R that is a stinker but they are highly regarded as a very accurate rifle. It's still on my list of "must haves" as are many others lol.

Both are about the same price last I checked, I'd opt for the 5R. If you think you may change your habits at some point and want a lighter, smaller rifle for close up encounters, the LTR may be a better choice.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:27 PM
Silver Member

Agreed with sniperVLS on the accuracy side, but, if you expect a lot of UKD shooting, the extra 4" of barrel on the 5r will flatten trajectory. My 20" LTR needs 44 moa to get on at 1k from a 100 yd zero. . .

The beatings will continue until morale improves.