Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

rem 700 titanium action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2010, 05:27 PM
Platinum Member

Re: rem 700 titanium action

We machine Titanium everyday and it is not that hard to machine, at least in the common alloys.

Titanium is VERY notch sensitive, meaning that cracks will almost always propagate from some defect. Circular machining marks on a shaft are a real no-no and must be polished out or some other reorientation is needed.

Generally it is about 70% heavier than Aluminum and almost as strong as a good steel but rarely as strong as the best steels. Most actions are made from mid-alloy steel....good quality but far from the strongest.

In reality most material choices involve trade-offs, and rifle actions are not immune.

edge.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:56 PM

WOA.... is right. I wasn't trying to start an argument. You are correct that the ME of steel is twice that of titanium. I was just saying that I like titanuim if you can affort it. With the types of rifles you see on this site everyone is concerned with super tight tolerances with the actions. Titanium is a very temp stable material and will have almost zero dimensional movement when thing start to warm up or cool down. It's also lighter making it nicer to carry as a rifle. And if you were to make a reciever out of titanuim you could change it dimensionally to compensate for any weaker areas which I'm sure Remington has already done. Maybe stiffness is not the correct way to compare the two in a rifle. But if you look at almost all upperlevel motorsports the connecting rods that are most popular are made from titanium, because they are lighter and stronger (impact resistant, zero stretch or growth and stiffer) than steel rods. But 10 times the price.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:08 PM

No argument here, its just my materials geek coming out.

You are totally right, the coefficient of thermal expansion is really good for Ti.
I'm not a big fan though, for the aforementioned ME issues and what the other gentlemen referred to, the fatigue cracking propensity.

Bottom line, I am really biased to Ferrous metals. Titanium scares me. I have been part of weld failure investigations, and when it comes to Ti (yes probably few welds on a receiver) the fatigue mode for failure is really unforgiving. You can have subtle unseen cracks develop and fail without visible warning.

Job knowledge: CTOD testing (May 2005)

HOWEVER, if Remington is putting it out, i'm sure they have it dialed in.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:14 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300 ultra View Post
WOA......
Does that mean, 'Wow of Angle'