Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Rem. 700 Sendero Accuracy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2009, 12:21 AM

Rem. 700 Sendero Accuracy

Okay. Went to the hills today with a box of factory Winchester 150 grain Power-Point loads, and a few of my own reloads with Berger 168 grain VLDs. The setup was a portable bench with sand bags. Pretty stable overall. Shooting 100 yards. 0-1 mile an hour wind. Huskemaw 5-20 scope. The red dots on the target are one inch circles, and the target grid squares are also one inch. I'm very dissatisfied with a rifle that's suppose to be along range tack driver. I'm getting similar results with a Leupold 3-9 scope mounted on the same rifle. Take a look-see and let me know what you think is happening.

This top pic is the target shot by the Winchester factory loads. Five shots at each dot, except for the top left and top right dots where there is six shot at the left dot and four at the right dot.

This pic is of the target shot by my 168 grain Berger VLD reloads. Four shot at each dot.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:28 AM

Re: Rem. 700 Sendero Accuracy

The rifle is chambered in 7mm Remington Magnum. The rifle is all factory with the exception of the trigger being lightened to 2.5 lbs.

I broke the barrel in with a box of 140 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips. During break in I carefully cleaned the barrel after each shot, for ten shots. I then cleaned the barrel after each five shots for the last ten rounds in the box. These bullets shot worse than the ones displayed in this post. They shot close to four inch groups.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:41 AM
Silver Member

Looks to me like you need to work on your load a bit plus get more trigger time with the gun. You might also want to re torque your stock screws and make sure they are at 65 in lbs.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:30 PM
Platinum Member

This doesn't look like typical Sendero accuracy. These groups look a lot like my Sako 85 Finnlight.

The only thing I can think of to do would be the normal, check your action and scope screws. If groups are still large you might do a scope swap out with a known good scope if you have one. There's always a chance tha even a good scope might be bad.

If that doesn't work, take it back to the dealer and have it sent back to the manufacturer (or send it back yourself) It would probably not be a good idea to mention shooting handloads through it as some manufacturers will void their warrantee if handloads are shot through it.

Hope you get it figured out and fixed. The Sendero should be shooting a lot better.

-MR

Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 06-27-2009 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:06 PM
Platinum Member

victorc,
You are correct in thinking that your rifle should be shooting better. Some take longer than others for the barrel to settle down. I had a .300 WM Sendero that went over a 100rds before it settled down. Never seen a barrel broke in after 20 rds, specially not a factory tube. Keep shooting and cleaning (regularly).
The Winchester factory Power Points are not known for their accuracy. As a matter of fact the last time I shot them in a cousins 7mag, not only did they kick the crap outta me but they spewed holes all over the target. I think they suck, myself. As for the Berger, it is not the holy grail of bullets. I have a 7mmRM 700P that will attest to that. I've shot nearly a whole box (100ct) through this rifle using multiple powders/primers and seating depths. It does not like this weight Berger.
Try and find a torque wrench and get your action screw set at 65in/lbs like BillR said. What kind of rings/mounts are you using? Have you examined/checked the barrel crown? Don't give up. JohnnyK.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:19 PM
Platinum Member

I have herd from a gunsmith that two out of five Sendero's will shoot like tack drivers right out of the box! Two will shoot just OK and one will be crap!

It seems like you have got one of those other three!!!!

If you have checked the scope and mounts and are confident in your shooting ability then I would blame the rifle!

I think that rather than wasting ammo and barrel life trying to get that thing to shoot "as is" you might be better off dropping it off to a gunsmith to do a bedding and trigger job.

Then try it again. If it still will not shoot then take it back to the gunsmith and have the action trued up. Might save you a whole lot of frustration.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:47 PM

Last night I mounted a new Leupold VX III 4.5-14x50 on the Sendero using Leupold two piece bases and standard Leupold rings. I'll pick up a box of Remington 150 grain Accutips from Cabelas on the way home from work tonight. I'll head back to the range some time tomorrow and try it again.