Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Rem 700 SA or Sako L579 as base for 243AI....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2008, 09:10 AM

That sounds more like a detonation, overload or obstruction rather than a simple case failure or primer failure. I don't under stand how a case failure could blow the forend to pieces. I examined a Tikka T3 in 300 WM that suffered from a catostrophic case failure (complete and violent head separation). It locked up the bolt and damaged the chamber, but no other visible damage.

Last edited by D B Cooper; 03-22-2008 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:32 AM
Platinum Member

I am a fan of Remington 700s but if I had a choice of making a new rig based on that action vs. an old Sako I'd go drop the Remington like a hot potato. Remmies are good, old Sakos are better. And anything can be blown up by a determined fool.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:38 AM
Silver Member

Thanks for the replies.

Whilst I hear the arguments about safety of the actions, I tend to feel that for my purposes most modern actions treated sanely will be "good enough".

My questions are just about whether the Sako will provide a good accurate base rifle for the build, or whether a squared up Rem 700 will be better. I do know that aftermarket parts to trick up the Rem are far easier available. I thought about it quite a bit the weekend and was leaning towards the Rem because of the ability to do that. But I too am a fan of those smooth Sako actions... but I'm probably no closer to deciding! :-)
Old 03-25-2008, 02:39 AM
Silver Member

Still can't decide!

Thanks for the replies.

Whilst I hear the arguments about safety of the actions, I tend to feel that for my purposes most modern actions treated sanely will be "good enough".

My questions are just about whether the Sako will provide a good accurate base rifle for the build, or whether a squared up Rem 700 will be better. I do know that aftermarket parts to trick up the Rem are far easier available. I thought about it quite a bit the weekend and was leaning towards the Rem because of the ability to do that. But I too am a fan of those smooth Sako actions... but I'm probably no closer to deciding! :-)
Old 03-25-2008, 04:49 AM
Silver Member

I know your feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRHWAL View Post
Thanks for the replies.

Fully trued Remington will be hard to beat, there are more aftermarkets for the Remi also. Even thought the Remi is safer due to the three rings of steel bolt nose/barrel/receiver the Sako is a good action. To get the most out of the Sako full truing will be required. As I've seen two close friends Sakos after a blow up (.243W-.270W) I wouldn't have one myself. Whatever was the reason for the blow ups is only academic, if you have a puncured tyre it doesn't matter if it was a nail or a bolt or a glass. Keep deciding.

Peter
Old 03-25-2008, 05:26 AM
Platinum Member

I have many Sakos and luv em all; but the Remington round action is easier to bed. I have done both, and the square Sako action is a bit more troublesome for me. Plus, there are an endless supply of Remmy parts available; not so with Sako. You choose.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:20 AM
Gold Member

I have several Sako's even the one in question an L579, I also have more than several model 700's and I like them both. If I have a custom gun project that I want less than 1-1 1/2 pound trigger then I lean toward the 700 because I can put a Jewell trigger on it. McMillan and other stock makers make stocks for either, the Sako might be a bit harder to bed but a competent gunsmith can do either with out being a big deal.
If I could find a Sako L579 in good condition I would buy it because it was made at least 30 years ago and I might not find another.
As far as strength of the action, I think PKunda's claims are bias either will suit needs just fine.
UB