Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Rem. 700 fires when safety is used!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2013, 10:14 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Rem. 700 fires when safety is used!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300whisper View Post
The Army overly relies on safeties. It drives me crazy. I would much rather have my M4 not cocked with the safety off, but at ranges NCOs have you cock your weapon just so they can see the safety is engaged. Safeties are worthless in automatic weapons. 249 and 240B cook off all the time. Sorry off topic...just interesting how people rely on them.
I must have shot 10,000 rounds thru an M60, and never had a cook off, but I did have the classic runaway a couple times while spraying and praying thru two or three belts real fast. Nice thing about them is all you gotta do is twist the belt.

I always was the number one man, and always left in rock & roll, but there was never anybody in front of me that was friendly. The guys behind me used safteys. Going out the other side the first guy out #3 man carried the 79, and as soon as he touched the ground he flicked the safety off and came up behind me on my left side with the radio right behind him. He was key to hitting anything with the M60 after two belts went thru it. I stayed away from the other three guys as I didn't trust them, safety or no safety. The only gun I ever trusted the safety on was a model 12 shotgun, and that safety didn't work! Always wondered how many guys got shot by friendly fire in close contact due to safety issues alone. Walking in the #2 slot was always scarey, and you didn't know what some fool behind you was going to do. I knew one guy that had a grenade land in his lap (ours), and only to have a bad fuse! The guy raised so much hell that I thought he was going to shoot a couple guys behind him and me.
gary
Old 12-11-2013, 10:21 PM

I was hunting this past sunday 12/8/13 with a rem 700 7mm rm & as a deer came out (small deer that i didnt intend to shoot) I moved my safety from safe to fire position just in case a bigger deer followed & my gun went off!!! Luckily i have always practiced gun safety & the gun was pointed in a safe position. I have heard this happening to other guys but was a first for me. I was a little rattled to say the least, thank god no one was hurt or even killed!! This was the mark x pro trigger & I say was because the second i got home a timney was purchased, looking forward to the install. My problem is with remington! & I'm a huge remington fan but when does someone at remington pull there head out of their as$ & fix this dangerous issue??? I mean someone could have been killed! From the web sites I have been reading this is a pretty common issue! So anyone out there reading this do yourself & the people around you a huge favor, if your going to buy a remington with the mark x pro either purchase a trigger/safety asap or better yet stop buying the remington with the mark x pro & maybe that will get remington to fix this issue! Since people getting injured or even killed doesn't seem to phase remington then it's sad but hit em in the pocket book & don't purchase thier product that has a mark x pro!!!!!!Good luck hunting/shooting & stay safe!!!!
Old 12-11-2013, 10:51 PM
Silver Member

I think it was an older issue before the xmark pro. There were issues in the early 90s as well. Also, that's why you're a true fire arm enthusiast. Your rifle discharging doesn't affect anything since you clearly practice firearm safety (not down playing the incident). All the clowns who are filing law suits were cleaning their weapons when they went off, pointing them at others, or had a ridiculous caliber loaded with a heavy bullet that punched through 3 houses before it killed someone relaxing in their living rooms. It is Remington's fault for the default but at the end day it's just a tool at the mercy of its owner.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:32 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
I must have shot 10,000 rounds thru an M60, and never had a cook off, but I did have the classic runaway a couple times while spraying and praying thru two or three belts real fast. Nice thing about them is all you gotta do is twist the belt.

I always was the number one man, and always left in rock & roll, but there was never anybody in front of me that was friendly. The guys behind me used safteys. Going out the other side the first guy out #3 man carried the 79, and as soon as he touched the ground he flicked the safety off and came up behind me on my left side with the radio right behind him. He was key to hitting anything with the M60 after two belts went thru it. I stayed away from the other three guys as I didn't trust them, safety or no safety. The only gun I ever trusted the safety on was a model 12 shotgun, and that safety didn't work! Always wondered how many guys got shot by friendly fire in close contact due to safety issues alone. Walking in the #2 slot was always scarey, and you didn't know what some fool behind you was going to do. I knew one guy that had a grenade land in his lap (ours), and only to have a bad fuse! The guy raised so much hell that I thought he was going to shoot a couple guys behind him and me.
gary
300whisper, I believe you should revisit your weapons conditions. I was a SAW gunner on a QRF team and used every heavy machine gun the Marine Corps had while in combat. Never had a safety malfunction. Also the 50 M2 does not have a safety except for a spent piece of brass under the butterfly. Hell our M1A2 tank had about a 16 inch bar for a safety that the loader operated. I bet I lased and tried to fire over 50 times without the safety being off and no malfunctions. So your statement about weapons that fire with a open bolt is false and has no relevance to this conversation. People are sheep now days, to afraid to stray from the herd. Me personally will stand up to Remington, at least I can say to myself that I maid a difference for me, my family and the people around me.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:23 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter_colorado View Post
I bet I lased and tried to fire over 50 times without the safety being off and no malfunctions. So your statement about weapons that fire with a open bolt is false and has no relevance to this conversation.
It does have relevance since I was speaking solely on not trusting a safety, which was mentioned a couple of times in the thread. My only experience when I have seen a weapon on safe and then fire is with the M249 or M240. I thought thats were the conversation evolved too. I wasnt bashing the M249 or M240 just what I have seen it at ranges and a couple of times in AFG. I love the M240B. I know youre the OP so Ill stay on topic. Did you watch the video on dateline about remington? I thought it was interesting. I still like remington, I have jewel triggers on mine to not worry about that issue.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300whisper View Post
I think it was an older issue before the xmark pro. There were issues in the early 90s as well. Also, that's why you're a true fire arm enthusiast. Your rifle discharging doesn't affect anything since you clearly practice firearm safety (not down playing the incident). All the clowns who are filing law suits were cleaning their weapons when they went off, pointing them at others, or had a ridiculous caliber loaded with a heavy bullet that punched through 3 houses before it killed someone relaxing in their living rooms. It is Remington's fault for the default but at the end day it's just a tool at the mercy of its owner.
I never saw an X mark trigger foul up. But I've always felt it was in their safety design, and not so much in the trigger. I think this simply adds fuel to what I've said in the past about the safety design being at issue.

Now there have been many documented instances of the rifles firing while releasing the safety, and in most cases they users were not cleaning the rifle. I've had it happen at the range more than I like to admit. The trigger I'm using right now was built by Ferris Pendell, and he said the factory trigger in my rifle was junk, and never trust a safety. I've also seen three or four out of a batch of six that fired when the safety was released (right out of the box and still had the hang tags on them). I'm not sure what the problem really is, but Mike Walker knew. He new twenty five years ago!

When I'm at the range, I am one of those guys that like to remove the bolt when not shooting. When I'm ready to start shooting and the down range is clear, I'll replace the bolt. After a hand full of unplanned let offs, I don't like taking chances. I have never had this issue hunting, but I've never hunted with that particular rifle with the original OEM trigger. Even with Ferris' trigger, I don't take chances (he even advised me about that).

What I'd like to see from Remington, is a complete bolt / trigger / safety redesign to forever rid any thought of these issues. It's not the brand name here, but a failure to admit there an issue and to correct it.
gary
Old 12-12-2013, 04:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post

When I'm at the range, I am one of those guys that like to remove the bolt when not shooting.
I'm with you on that, for lots of reasons! Never found one that will shoot without a bolt, unintentionally or otherwise. Also nice to know some jackwagon can't slide in behind your rifle when you are downrange, and it is also a disincentive for said jackwagon to walk off with it (though certainly doesn't prevent it).