Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Rem. 700 fires when safety is used!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2013, 09:14 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Rem. 700 fires when safety is used!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARPERC View Post
I've had that happen with unmodified Remington triggers, and seen it in others. One cause is getting to much of the wrong kind of lube, it gets cold, or accumulates a bit of grime and it will fire when the safety is pushed forward. The aftermarkets are a step in the right direction, I've also used the Gentry 3 position safety with success. Installation is a bit trickier than advertised, it's not a substitute for muzzle control, but a better mechanical safety in my opinion.
The striker lock safety systems such as the Gentry is a great option but it also can have issues. I have seen situatons where the cocking piece retainer on the trigger got hung up in the trigger housing and did not return to battery properly or was knocked out of position while the safety was engaged, then when the safety was dropped, the striker fell.

Again, all safeties can fail, DO NOT depend on them to save your butt!!

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 10-18-2013, 03:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post

Again, all safeties can fail, DO NOT depend on them to save your butt!!
It's worth repeating.

I'm not much good with mechanical stuff, and one of my safety rules is I don't mess with triggers and safeties. The Gentry while a good system, has not been a drop in change over. Find a good smith like Kirby, and let them show off their capabilities.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter_colorado View Post
smith in town had a Jewell trigger he is putting in tonight
I like your fix! A rifle firing when it is not supposed to is not a DIY project, IMO. You'll love your Jewell, good luck on your hunt!
Old 10-19-2013, 12:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 436 View Post
I think IdahoCTD nailed it..
The idea of a Remington 700 firing when the safety is released is not new, and has been around for a lot longer than most of us have been shooting. I had one that did it, and it went thru three different gunsmiths with the same results. The last one was Ferris Pindell, and he said that it just needed to be tossed. Something about the "J Lock" design. He gave me a 1978 trigger that he'd worked over, and never missed a beat. Mike Walker was probably the first guy to encounter this issue (he designed the Mod. 700), and he submitted a revised design. It was rejected! I've since seen two other factory stock 700's do this (both were right out of the box). With my 700 and this issue, the trigger pull was just slightly under three pounds (about 2.8lb.), and only had this issue about once in twenty rounds.

I'd just replace the trigger with a Rifle Basix and be done with it.
gary
Old 10-19-2013, 08:20 PM
Platinum Member

My view on safeties is probably gonna be a little controversial. When I went through Hunter's Saftey many years ago, I was taught to NEVER trust a saftey because it was a mechanical device and it can and will fail. This has already been mentioned. I think we might be better off without the mechanical safety that can and does fail. If there was no safety, we would not depend on it. Since there is a safety, we do in fact overly depend on it. I say this because I have seen a lot of folks point their muzzle recklessly in any direction without thought of who or what it is pointing at.

Where is the safety on a revolver or a single shot shotgun?

The ultimate safety is how you HANDLE your weapon. If your muzzle is NEVER POINTED at anyone it will NEVER HARM anyone.

That said, the best trigger/safety on a Remington is something other than a Remington trigger/safety.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 10-20-2013, 12:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
My view on safeties is probably gonna be a little controversial. When I went through Hunter's Saftey many years ago, I was taught to NEVER trust a saftey because it was a mechanical device and it can and will fail. This has already been mentioned. I think we might be better off without the mechanical safety that can and does fail. If there was no safety, we would not depend on it. Since there is a safety, we do in fact overly depend on it. I say this because I have seen a lot of folks point their muzzle recklessly in any direction without thought of who or what it is pointing at.

Where is the safety on a revolver or a single shot shotgun?

The ultimate safety is how you HANDLE your weapon. If your muzzle is NEVER POINTED at anyone it will NEVER HARM anyone.

That said, the best trigger/safety on a Remington is something other than a Remington trigger/safety.
Maybe I'm the odd man out, but with the Remington, I just leave the bolt about halfway open. Then when I'm ready to shoot, I close it. The one safety I always had an issue with was the one that Remington and others mounted on the trigger guard. Just never trusted it (shotguns).

When I was going thru basic training in the Army, we were lectured about the safety and the M14 rifle at the range (well a couple guys also got a size 14 boot in their butts as well). After all was said and done, and right before we went to the line for our first shots, he loads an M14 rifle, and starts tamping it's butt end on a block of hardwood. After about four or five tamps the rifle went off with the safety engaged! A deeply engraved impression! Much later I had to go thru a week long M16 orientation (only guys from the "big four" went). It was pretty easy and I never had any issues. Then we started doing full auto stuff. One mag right after another as fast as we could shoot four or five shot bursts. They call a check fire to point out some issues that a few of us had, and no one was within eight feet of a rifle. A rifle had a cook off and went thru about ten rounds! If I remember right the safety was engaged! Never trusted a safety ever again!
gary
Old 10-20-2013, 12:47 PM
Silver Member

The Army overly relies on safeties. It drives me crazy. I would much rather have my M4 not cocked with the safety off, but at ranges NCOs have you cock your weapon just so they can see the safety is engaged. Safeties are worthless in automatic weapons. 249 and 240B cook off all the time. Sorry off topic...just interesting how people rely on them.