Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Rem. 700 fires when safety is used!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2013, 01:26 PM
Silver Member

Rem. 700 fires when safety is used!

Shooting my 300 Dakota I got from a member off this site fires when safet is set off of safe. The rifle has been a dream to shoot and is everything I want in a long range hammer. I have done some research and sounds like a ongoing problem, will Remington pay for a new trigger assembly? Good thing I use safe rifle handling, could have easily turned out bad. Good thing I'm leaving on a hunt tomorrow.... By the way the rifle just started doing this today, now it does it every time the safety is used.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:31 PM
Gold Member

Re: Rem. 700 fires when safety is used!

Most likely the trigger is set either too light on the spring tension or the sear engagement. I doubt Remington would pay for squat since it's not a factory original rifle.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:38 PM
Gold Member

I think IdahoCTD nailed it..
Old 10-17-2013, 01:39 PM
Platinum Member

Sounds like the safety parts are wore-out to me. It happens over time with lots of safety use. I hardly ever use safety unless I'm climbing up to or down the stand ladder, or I'm ridin in the truck. Other than that, my rifles rarely see safety.

This should fix the issue...

Timney Rifle Trigger Remington 700 40X Safety 1-1/2 to 4 lb Blue

And like Idaho said....Not a factory rifle that's been tinkered with, doubt Remington will fix it for free. And even if they did put a new trigger in it, it would be one of those POS X-Mark Pro triggers....You'd be better off just buying an aftermarket trigger.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:56 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Sear engagement is not enough or there is a negative sear angle, either way, NOT SAFE, do not use until you get the problem corrected.

If you can afford it, invest in a jewell drop in trigger and you will be very happy. Anyway you go, have it installed properly and function tested.

Also would like to add, NEVER depend on a safety, they are mechanical items and mechanical items fail, NEVER put your life or anyones life in that situation, never rely on a safety to keep you out of trouble, keep that rifle unloaded until your ready to shoot.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 10-17-2013, 01:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post

If you can afford it, invest in a jewell drop in trigger and you will be very happy. Anyway you go, have it installed properly and function tested.

Amen!!
Old 10-17-2013, 02:11 PM
Bronze Member

I think the trigger is set too light...I did this with a Rem 700 .222.. then I backed up the adjustment by 3/4 of a pound or so and problem solved.