Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Rem.700 build upgrade advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 07:45 PM
Bronze Member

Rem.700 build upgrade advice

First I am on a budget and I am not a competition shooter but I might like to try it out and I have a place that I can shoot out to a 1000yds for fun. Here is what I have this is not a hunting rifle its been a safe queen and I thought it would save me some cash to use this instead of a custom build...

Remington VS Sendero Special
300 win. mag
24" barrel
HS prec. stock

Remember I am on a budget and lets say for now it would be $1000 and I am looking to improve on what I have and be competitive with the guys around here (Bowling Green KY). I want to get the most bang for my buck so where do I start new barrel,trued action,new stock? I hope you guys can help and sorry for all the silly questions but as you can tell I'm a noob and all advice/suggestions will be appreciated!! Thanks Jason
Old 02-10-2012, 08:05 PM
Gold Member

Re: Rem.700 build upgrade advice

Great rifle to work with. Before I had the action trued new barrel etc. I would see how well it groups. You might not need to do much at all. I would go with a good scope that is 20x or more with side focus and has enough adjustment for 1000 yards.Things to look at, I would put both action screws at 45 inch lbs, and have your trigger adjusted for the best weight for you.Too heavy of a trigger pull will make long range accurate shooting very difficult.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:36 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Rem.700 build upgrade advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by highridge1 View Post
Great rifle to work with. Before I had the action trued new barrel etc. I would see how well it groups. You might not need to do much at all. I would go with a good scope that is 20x or more with side focus and has enough adjustment for 1000 yards.Things to look at, I would put both action screws at 45 inch lbs, and have your trigger adjusted for the best weight for you.Too heavy of a trigger pull will make long range accurate shooting very difficult.
This is some great advice. I was going to go the route of trigger adjustment advice, but also look at having the action bedded in Devcon or something similar. Bedding an action is something you can do your self at home. So really it is the cost of material. I also support the purchase of good optics and rings. You want that scope to be mounted good and tight (don't crush the scope tube about 15in. lbs.). With these modifications you may be able to have a shooter for less than $100. There are some resources on the net that can teach you how to set your own trigger if you want to try it. It will however void the warranty on your rifle. So it's up to you if you want to attempt it. I followed some instruction on my Model 7 and things worked out ok. It's up to you. Make sure the barrel is completely free floated. Double check with a bipod to make sure. Also you want to the get a Harris Bipod or better with a swiveling head. If you get the notched legs, that will help in making sure nothing slips when you are uneven ground. This will run you about $100 depending on where you buy it.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!