Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Rem 700 bolt mystery?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2005, 01:00 AM
Silver Member

Re: Rem 700 bolt mystery?

Kirby...thanks alot...was anxious to try some "Butch's" anyway...I will let it soak overnight with Kroil's and then scrub it with the Butch's tomorrow...thanks again, Larry
Old 01-29-2005, 09:43 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Should do it for ya,

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 01-29-2005, 10:27 AM
Silver Member

Larry-

It's hard without seeing it, but, do you think it could be from the previous owner cleaning/scrubbing that spot with a brush?

I know that I've seen plenty of military weapons parts turned "coppery" by guys cleaning them with the GI issue bore brushes.

They will leave a "stain" behind that is sometimes tough to completely remove.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:54 AM
Silver Member

Gary...thanks for responding...I doubt this rifle was ever cleaned by the previous owner...it appears to have been fired very little, and sat idle for a few years and everything was a little rusty...I am brushing it with a bronze brush and solvents & it's coming clean but was reluctant to brush at first due to removing the bluing from the lug, but looks like no big deal...can touch it up easily...this spot is a "splash" of copper looking, very hard stuff which most seem to think is brass chips (I'm not sure myself)...after firing it was "welded" to that spot...really isn't a big deal ultimately, it's just that the rifle appears to be in excellent "low mileage" shape and I just wanted to get it completely clean... thanks again, Larry
Old 01-30-2005, 05:10 PM
Gold Member

I agree with fifty driver I had a model 700 in 7mag that did that and turned out the ejecter had a sharp edge and when you fired it and extracted the case it would shave a little brass from the head. I never had the firing pin stick but the ejecter would stick after a few shots but after 60 or so rounds it went away. I guess the edge wore off. I just kept the bolt face clean and kept shooting. Good luck with!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]