Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Rem 700 bolt mystery?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2005, 05:41 PM
Silver Member

Rem 700 bolt mystery?

...acquired a used Rem 700 30-06...bolt looks good with nice lug contact etc...there appears to be a "splash of copper" in the groove in the r/h lug (rh rifle)...how does this occur, if in fact it is copper... am presently cleaning this spot with usual solvents i.e. sweets; sc7 etc...pretty tough spot to clean...anyone seen this before... thanks, Larry
Old 01-28-2005, 05:06 AM
Gold Member

Re: Rem 700 bolt mystery?

I DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN EXACTLY. I HAVE A REM 700 AND IF THE MAG. IS LOADED TO MAXIMUM CAPACITY, WHEN CLOSING THE BOLT SOME BRASS IF SHAVED FROM THE CASE ON TOP ....I DO NOT KNOW IT IT IS THE SAME THING.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:35 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

LarryO,

We need a little better discription of where the copper streak is.

Is it in the lug raceway or actually on the lug itself?

OFten in the Rem 700, if the rifle is loaded with warm handloads or if there is a burr onthe bolt face, when the rifle is used, small pieces of brass are shaved off the case from time to time. These little chips of brass can cause several problem including stuck firing pins, stuck ejectors and if bad enough they will get crushed between the bolt nose and the barrel recess and cause accuracy problems.

This last one is usually not a problem in a factory rifle as the bolt nose recess in the barrel is generally quite loose fitted.

If one of these little brass chips gets into an area that is a wear surface they could produce this brass smear that you are seeing.

Again, let us know exactly where this smear is.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 01-28-2005, 11:00 AM
Silver Member

...smear is in the "raceway"... lugs look good and the raceway is good, except for app 3/16" area with this "copper looking" buildup in the groove... it might be brass but it looks exactly like copper? after soaking a few minutes in "sweets", I can get a little blue on a patch...thanks for your help... Larry
Old 01-28-2005, 01:58 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

LarryO,

I would bet its nothing more then some brass chips that worked their way into the raceways and then teh working of the bolt rubbed it to make this smear.

If its brass it will be a little harder to get off them copper with sweets but it will still come off with a little scrubbing.

The main areas that cause these little chips of brass are the extractor and the plunger ejector hole. Everytime you clean your rifle be sure to clean the bolt face clear of any small brass chip.

I assure you they can bind up a firing pin pretty tightly if they are the right size and get into the firing pin hole. Never fails to happen at the worst times as well.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 01-28-2005, 08:54 PM
Silver Member

Kirby...thanks for your help...this does seem tougher than copper...any suggestions as to what type of solvents and what kind of "tool" to use in the raceway for scrubbing etc...thanks again, Larry
Old 01-29-2005, 12:18 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Get some Butches Bore Shine with a Bronze Phosphorus brush.

IT will make a bronze color smear on the metal but this will wipe off. If the brass has been embedded into the pours of the metal(if this area is not polished up) it will be difficult to get all of it out.

I assume this is a blued rifle, if it is a stainless by chance, get some 000 or 0000 steel wood and youcan probably polish it out again using some BBShine. If it is blued though, the steel wool will remove the bluing quickly if any is there.

A bronze brush is hard to beat. Can take quite a bit of scubbing at time.

Also, try some good high quality penetrating oil applied on the smear and left over night and then scrub the next day. Sometimes really helps to get into and under the brass in the metal pours and break it loose.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com