Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Rem 700 action issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 07:34 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Rem 700 action issue

Race-ways are broached, which for a machine operation rarely if ever leaves a smooth finish. What you have there is typical, even for some older actions. I've seen worse on; remy, savage and winchesters before. since the OD of the broach internal surface really doesn't touch the OD of the lugs it's not a big deal.

if you want a smooth finish get a custom action they are edm.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:13 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the info guys. The gun shoots really good. Right at .5 moa. It's disappointing to see that quality of work. Funny thing is it sure didn't look like when I bought it. Well not that I can recall.

I know my next rifle will definitely NOT be a remington.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyboy View Post
Race-ways are broached, which for a machine operation rarely if ever leaves a smooth finish. What you have there is typical, even for some older actions. I've seen worse on; remy, savage and winchesters before. since the OD of the broach internal surface really doesn't touch the OD of the lugs it's not a big deal.

I agree! Leave the bolt on and it's GTG.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:20 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyboy View Post

/\ What Jim said....amen
Old 03-28-2013, 02:28 PM
Platinum Member

I'm a huge Rem 700 (or 40-X) fan, and I have a bunch of them. I'll continue to buy them without hesitation. But the ones I buy are used, older production guns that I generally find in pawn shops, gunstores or shows. The recent production stuff seems to be geared more towards the WalMart crowd; cheap but functional and with no frills. I've also seen some recent stuff that wasn't functional. They seem like they've gotten a bit better than they were 5-10 years ago, but they still have a long, long way to go to get anywhere near what they were 20-25 years back.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:48 PM
Platinum Member

The Walmart crowd!!! OMG, once in a while I shop there too.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post
Lefty, I'm thinking about buying a new action of theirs on Midway or someplace, just the action. Do you think they will be top quality? Maybe a used older action/gun is better? I'm not happy with custom action prices. I gotta say though, I like the win 70 push feeds the most, (2000-2004) they feel great. Only issue is I'd like to find a smith that true's them for a reasonable price and turnaround time. Ideas?
I'd say the used ald's are one of your better options if all you need is a righty action. They can usually be found lightly used for less than a new action and you may get the bonus of a thousand rounds or more on a barrel you don't care much about. Heck, Kevin is right about wally world; you can get an adl from them for a little over $400.