Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Rem 700 action issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 11:03 PM
Bronze Member

Rem 700 action issue

I bought a remington 700 and have around 70 rounds through it. I pulled the bolt out and was going to give it a cleaning when I noticed the inside looks like it went through a meat grinder. I have never seen this in any of my Remington's or other guns for that matter. Anyone have any ideas how this could happen?

Anyone seen this in there rifle?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Rem 700 action issue-image.jpg  
Old 03-27-2013, 11:33 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Rem 700 action issue

looks like typical remmy quality control lately.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:33 AM
Silver Member

How does the bolt look? Any galling on it? Quality control looks bad, action shouldn't have left factory. As long as gun shoots and works fine just go with it.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:59 AM
Gold Member

Looks like machine marks to me. If they keep you awake at night, stone them with a small whetstone.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:25 AM
Platinum Member

I'd call remington if the gun is new. My opinion, they need to know when this happens or in time people will stop favoring them. The 700 needs to stay and get better, qc is the answer. They need to take this seriously.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post
I'd call remington if the gun is new. My opinion, they need to know when this happens or in time people will stop favoring them. The 700 needs to stay and get better, qc is the answer. They need to take this seriously.
Sorry Ed, but I do believe that the ship has already left the dock on that one..... I WAS a remmy fan but after seeing them actually sell two unusable rifles new ( I got one of those) and the fit I'm having with the 7stw at times, I'm looking elsewhere from now on first. I may still buy a remmy, but I'll be very wary and expect to do work to it. Their good pipes work well, but they seem to let one out that'll either let a smoothbore outshoot it or have a funky chamber or galled metal once in a while.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:24 AM
Platinum Member

Lefty, I'm thinking about buying a new action of theirs on Midway or someplace, just the action. Do you think they will be top quality? Maybe a used older action/gun is better? I'm not happy with custom action prices. I gotta say though, I like the win 70 push feeds the most, (2000-2004) they feel great. Only issue is I'd like to find a smith that true's them for a reasonable price and turnaround time. Ideas?