Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

A reflection on bullet performance, thoughts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-15-2009, 01:39 PM
Silver Member
Re: A reflection on bullet performance, thoughts

I just touched on this in the barnes-berger as well, but I will touch on it again. Years ago those bullets certainly filled the bill, but times have changed. Velocity, accuracy, understanding of ballistics, etc..

We now have a better understanding of all of the little things that make a great bullet, and this being the long range forums I will assume that all here have an interest, to some extent, in long range.

Not that long ago harvesting game was considered ethical and or acheivable to about 300-400 yards maximum to all but a small handful of people, so 1 MOA or so was generally considered excellent 1 1/2- 2 MOA was on par, and bullets didn't have to perform well at say 1000 yards on game consistently. The old 300-400 yard mark IMO has been moved and I would say that it is closer to 600-1000 yards now. A bullet has to do alot of things very well to harvest game at those ranges such as buck the wind, retain energy & velocity, pin point accuracy, release the energy on the animal, etc.

I would say that not all of the bullets from our past fall short, but many do.
Until lions have their historians, tales of the hunt shall always glorify the hunters. ~African Proverb

‘‘To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them...’’ — Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Unread 09-15-2009, 03:49 PM
Gold Member
Re: A reflection on bullet performance, thoughts

well in my 40 years of hunting I have yet to shoot a partition. I have 2 long range rifles which I shoot decent bullets in.
a few folks scoff at the accubond for long range hunting but I made my farthest kill last year with an accubond, 1,350 yards. in my other 20 something rifles I shoot plain vanilla bullets, most of the time NBT's. I've taken hundreds of deer with them and in all those deer I've saw 2 jacket core separations that didn't exit. these were 140 gr BT's that were packaged 100 to the box which means it was before the NBT's were revamped for hunting big game.
I'm just not sold on the premie's yet, I jumped on the original x-bullet bandwagon, all I got out of that was my wallet was 300.00 dollars lighter and I still went back to BT's.

20 times I've sent 140 BT's from my STW at over 3500 fps, brought home 19 bucks and a bear at anywhere from 47 yards to 626. I'm not gonna fix it either!
Born to Hunt, Forced to Work!