Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Recoil Reduction - Muzzle Brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 09:54 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Recoil Reduction - Muzzle Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
Another +1 to the muscle brake, i have one on a 284 win and with 162 amaxs at 2800 fps it recoils like a 22-250.
Reily.... You are a young'in. Real men bear the pain and pay the chiropractor.... I think.

My take on any braked muzzle is the blast has to go somewhere except forward and that can be an issue in some instances and some outfitters cringe at braked muzzles.

IOW, you don't want to be standing broadside (close) when a braked muzzle is touched off.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Reily.... You are a young'in. Real men bear the pain and pay the chiropractor.... I think.

My take on any braked muzzle is the blast has to go somewhere except forward and that can be an issue in some instances and some outfitters cringe at braked muzzles.

IOW, you don't want to be standing broadside (close) when a braked muzzle is touched off.
I was letting my brother shoot the rifle and i forgot to put on my muffs, he touched it off (i was about a foot to his right) and my ears rang for about 2 minutes but after that it didnt bother me too much, and i made sure to remember to put them on the next shot! I am usually pretty good about it, i usually forget when i am breaking in a barrel.

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 05-21-2013, 10:54 PM
Silver Member

Have a Holland and it's good. Also have a Painkiller it's WAAAY better!!
Old 05-21-2013, 11:13 PM
Gold Member

Haha isn't that the truth! My by far worst was when I was breaking in my 338 lapua. I was getting ready to take a 3 shot at 300 yards I just got back from setting up the target so the only thing that was on my mind was shooting. got behind her and let her sing!! I was rolling my ass all over the ground but I wasn't laughing. Lol i think Im still hearing that ring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
I am usually pretty good about it, i usually forget when i am breaking in a barrel.

Riley: "Biggest fail of 2014 so far..."
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...72/index4.html
Old 05-22-2013, 10:08 AM
Platinum Member

All of my muzzle brakes are 'smith specials. Meaning, the 'smith that put the rig together designed, manufactured & Installed the brake. There is a Badger FTE brake sitting in my safe for the 300WM build i've got going on.... supposed to be top self stuff, we'll see.

The Muscle brake has an outstanding reputation everywhere I go.

I just ordered one of JECustoms new brakes (reminds me of the PK). We'll see how that one rolls.

t

Old 05-22-2013, 11:38 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

I have had really good luck with my Titanium Brake
Very good recoil reduction and 1 oz or less weight added to the end of the barrel
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Recoil Reduction - Muzzle Brakes-brake-titanium.jpg  

Elk Meadow Performance
www.elkmeadowperformance.com
Old 05-22-2013, 11:42 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj-pratt View Post
I have had really good luck with my Titanium Brake
Very good recoil reduction and 1 oz or less weight added to the end of the barrel

I have to admit, I prefer the slotted brakes over the drilled style. That titanium brake looks great & offers a weight that's hard (if not impossible) to beat.

t