Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

recoil lug question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2007, 10:33 PM
Silver Member

recoil lug question

what's the advantages to using a larger after market lug over a thinner factory ?
i see where people, list so and so recoil lug in their build stats, and was just wondering ??

getting ready to start the 338 edge build and this may be the last thing i may "need" for it..
Old 01-04-2007, 12:08 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: recoil lug question

Most factory recoil lugs on say a Rem 700 are not heat treated, in fact they are quite soft if you have ever machined one. In a heavy kicking rifle like the 338 Edge, this can allow the factory lug to flex under recoil. Although this flexing may be VERY slight, it still happens and will effect down range consistancy.

Also, factory lugs are rearly even in thickness. You can spend all the time and money you want truing receivers and fitting barrels properly you want and if you sandwich a recoil lug between the receiver and barrel shoulder that is uneven, you will induce a stress into the entire rifle system.

Most after market lugs are surface ground and most are held to within 0.0002" in thickness uniformity. Also, most are heat treated and thicker then factory lugs for added strength and no flexing at all. Those that are not heat treated are generally very thick which accomplishes the same thing of no flexing just in a different way.

For a custom rifle, if you do not use a quality aftermarket recoil lug, your really shooting yourself in the foot. Remember the saying the weakest link in the chain. THat is good to remember when building an extreme accuracy long range rifle.

For the money, very wise upgrade to have on a custom rifle.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 01-04-2007, 12:14 AM
Silver Member

so which make and thickness is recommended ?
Old 01-04-2007, 10:23 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

I use Holland Comp lugs on all my personal rifles as well as my customers rifles. That is because they are extremely strong and relatively thin and look good. Any lug from Holland, Tubbs or Badger Ord will work fine. As long as they are surface ground for consistant thickness, that is the key. I believe Shawn Carlock is also coming out with an aftermarket lug so he may chime in here as well.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 01-04-2007, 11:31 AM
Platinum Member

Hey Kirby , have you ever seen used or heard anything about the Calahan recoil lugs that Midway sells , they are suppose to be surface lapped and can be had in several thicknesses up to .500". I ask because I have been pondering welding the recoil lug to the action before opening it up and rethreading that way it'll add a little more tennon length (1/2"). I have got a pretty good method of controling the heat and keeping it off the lug recesses , but I'm sure the lug would have to be trued again after it was welded

I personaly like the Holland lug becasue it matches the action diameter realy well and doesne't have the step like the Tubb or factory does.