Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Receiver to stock- how tight?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2003, 11:51 AM
Silver Member

Receiver to stock- how tight?

Spent some of my precious .338 300 grain Matchkings today because I moved the scope a little and also wanted to re-zero my TRG-S for bipod use. For some reason I also seriously over-tightened all the bolts that keep the thing together. About a quarter turn each,they already were quite tight.

This light TRG-S varies a lot,depending on the support I use plus it has (had?) a bedding problem (probably?) so the POI keeps drifting. Or it used to. 30 F today.

Anyway,after some fouling offhand shots (no more moly in the barrel) I looked for an approximate zero point ,using my car as a support and a Harris bipod,standing. Found the spot, fired three rounds from 130 meters.

I was able to repeat this for several more similar targets but my bullet supply is getting low... no, it WAS getting low because I just received a package,15 minutes ago. Thanks again,Dave! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Can it be just the loose bolts? Hell,these are so tight now, Im almost scared -but this is the real way a healthy TRG-S shoots.

Ideas? 170 rounds through this,only moly at first. Just when I decided to check the bedding,everything is fine. Less than 1/2" inch three shot groups from 130 meters,Harris bipod, cant complain.

Poor deer. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2003, 12:38 AM
PUBLISHER

Re: Receiver to stock- how tight?

In my experience, 3 shots isn't nearly enough to test a POI shift. Try at least 10 shots if you've had problems before. Good luck.

How's the weather in Finland? Our deer season opens this Saturday and the temperatures today are too high...63 degrees F.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 11-21-2003, 12:58 AM
Silver Member

Re: Receiver to stock- how tight?

Thanks,I definitely will.

The thing is,it used to drift all the time within an INCH with just a few rounds! Then stop drifting for a while etc... anyway:

Before I go hunting tomorrow,if the FIRST round at the range is where its supposed to be (I wont clean the barrel big time tonight) I feel Im going to the right direction. The problem was always a sideways drift,first one being okay.