Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

recamondations on long range ar load

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2010, 08:18 PM
Silver Member

recamondations on long range ar load

Hi everbody I was gona work up a load for my ar ,I have never loaded for it before .its got a .1-9 twist with heavy barrel. Just gona shoot coyotes bobcats and fox. Don't really know how far I can streach it out ,but wanna try any long range load if would be great.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:40 PM
Silver Member

Re: recamondations on long range ar load

Darn smart phone changes words on me ,for for the spelling errors.any long range load data would be great thanks. Timmy.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:50 AM
Silver Member

I shoot an 8 twist 16" barrel and after some testing and some number crunching have developed 2 loads for this rifle. It has a Premier Reticule Leupold scope set up with dots for 200, 300, 400, 450, 500 yards. The first scope which the scope was built for is a molyed 69 gr Sierra at 2800fps and the second is a molyed 55 gr Ballistic Tip at 3000 fps . Both work with the recticule in the scope. Wind pushes the 55 around more but is a better killing bullet. Longest coyote with this rifle is with the 55 at 540 yards.

I use VN N-135 with the molyed B-Tip in LC cases and REM 7.5 primer. For bare bullets I would start at 24 gr and move up about .3 at a time till you get a good load.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:20 AM
Silver Member

Thanks a lot going to go buy a die today, will a fl sizing die work ok, any ideas on what brand of die ,rcbs or should i get a redding comp die ,any recommendation on a good strait die,Mabey i better not shoot the 69 sierras or have people had good luck with them killing coyotes.Does anybody have any good ideas with a heaver bullet that the 1-9 will stabilize,that has a higher bc and will lay the SMACKITH DOWN!!!,on some critters.Nosler partion ok or not ?Mabey a max if they make it in 22 cal,?sierra match king ?Any experiences that you guy have had with these bullets would be great.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:20 AM
Silver Member

Well the 1/9 twist is going to limit you to around 70grainers or less. If you had the 1/8 or 1/7.5 you could handle 80-90grainers and take your AR out to 1Kyds.

55grainers is most likely what your barrel will like, and be plenty for Yoties. Work up your load for accuracy, use good bullets, and good powder.

You could have one of those barrels that will handle heavy bullets, you won't know 'till you try them.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:32 AM
Silver Member

Ok thanks 70 grainers or less,but try heavier bullets and see if gun will shoot them. What is the best temperature stable powder to use in this caliber?
Old 12-12-2010, 11:52 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyatnop View Post
Hi everbody I was gona work up a load for my ar ,I have never loaded for it before .its got a .1-9 twist with heavy barrel. Just gona shoot coyotes bobcats and fox. Don't really know how far I can streach it out ,but wanna try any long range load if would be great.

> While I was typing away, forgot you said you never loaded for AR before.

I don't care what the manual says, crimping AR ammo isn't necessary. You might switch to a SB (small base) die for resizing to get more reliable chambering.

I use Ramshot Montana Brand's Exterminator for powder, a lot of guys are using the TAC. I recommend them they are clean burning, and I haven't cleaned more than the barrels, since switching to it. I just oil up the bolt and trigger, once in a while.