Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Rebuilding my 375 RUM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2013, 12:19 PM
Platinum Member

Re: building a 375 h&h

One other thing to consider when loading low pressure cartridges (Like the H&H, Rigby, 45/70) The brass is not as hearty and case life will be short.

Just because it is newly manufactured does not mean its stronger, because if the manufacture
of the cases change the thickness or redesign the web of the case it changes Volume and the loading data and could cause problems in older rifles.

The fact that you can hot rod "ANY" cartridge does not make it the best thing to do.

Just My Two cents

J E CUSTOM
Old 06-14-2013, 12:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
One other thing to consider when loading low pressure cartridges (Like the H&H, Rigby, 45/70) The brass is not as hearty and case life will be short.

Just because it is newly manufactured does not mean its stronger, because if the manufacture
of the cases change the thickness or redesign the web of the case it changes Volume and the loading data and could cause problems in older rifles.

The fact that you can hot rod "ANY" cartridge does not make it the best thing to do.

Just My Two cents

J E CUSTOM

I agree and I dont plan to max this thing out. It is only a 500 yard rifle (in reality most shots will probably be under 300) and the performance gained by loading long will help a lot. I am going to be happy with anything over 2700-2800... that is moving right a long for a bullet that size. I plan to do another ultra and when I do that will be my hotrod 375. But for now I think this old classic will be a lot of fun. I am looking forward to playing with it.

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 06-14-2013, 12:49 PM
Gold Member

Quote:

Just My Two cents

J E CUSTOM
Loading to book loads can hardly be properly defined as "hot rodding".
Old 06-14-2013, 05:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchracer View Post
Loading to book loads can hardly be properly defined as "hot rodding".

Don't believe that book loads are OK.

I have seen many "BOOK" loads develop excessive pressure in some weapons.

I have even seen a few rifles that the starting loads were over pressure.

You must always start with starting loads and find the max load for that rifle. and
never believe that the max load in the book is OK.

I consider any load that reaches maximum pressure or above is a hot rod, irregardless of
what the listed powder charge is.

Tikkamike: I am glad you are staying with the old 375 H&H it is a classic and with your care
it should be a blast to shoot.

J E CUSTOM
Old 06-14-2013, 06:54 PM
Gold Member

Another option if your not dead set on the H&H is a improved version. I shot a .375-358STA for years and thumped a bunch of elk with it. I shot 250gr Sierra's at 3080fps in a 27" barrel.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:53 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Don't believe that book loads are OK.

I have seen many "BOOK" loads develop excessive pressure in some weapons.

I have even seen a few rifles that the starting loads were over pressure.

You must always start with starting loads and find the max load for that rifle. and
never believe that the max load in the book is OK.

I consider any load that reaches maximum pressure or above is a hot rod, irregardless of
what the listed powder charge is.

Tikkamike: I am glad you are staying with the old 375 H&H it is a classic and with your care
it should be a blast to shoot.

J E CUSTOM
Nobody is saying don't work up from a starting load. I don't know where you are even getting that.

Hodgdon book max charge, loaded to a LONGER OAL, and .080 from the the rifling (which is what I did) DOES NOT equal overpressure. No way. No how. Your earlier assertion that .375 H&H brass is somehow weak is equally bogus. Feel free to not like it if someone experiments, but what has been said about factory tendency to underload the cartridge is accurate. You are all wet on this one and way off base.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchracer View Post
Nobody is saying don't work up from a starting load. I don't know where you are even getting that.

Hodgdon book max charge, loaded to a LONGER OAL, and .080 from the the rifling (which is what I did) DOES NOT equal overpressure. No way. No how. Your earlier assertion that .375 H&H brass is somehow weak is equally bogus. Feel free to not like it if someone experiments, but what has been said about factory tendency to underload the cartridge is accurate. You are all wet on this one and way off base.

I am only trying to keep some from getting in trouble Not starting a ******* contest.

Your comment only shows how little you actually do know if you believe that a book that has
calculated velocities and pressures and no real world pressure test in SAMME chambers or
screwed up chambers is OK. If you read the disclaimer in the book it even states that it is only a
guide line and all loads should be worked up because of different chambers and cases design.

As far as I am concerned You can load what ever you want a hot as you want.

On this site we try to keep people out of trouble but some people you just cant help so
do what you want You obviously know more than everyone else. and who knows, someday
I may read about you.

I have been shooting and reloading for over 50 years and have seen many things that went wrong
and many brass failures for no apparent reason so go with your self.

There are many cartridges that are not designed for the higher pressures and can be dangerous
if loaded to todays pressures Just like the guns that were built for them.

Enough said.

J E CUSTOM